Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 January 2017
One of those novels where you wish you could award more than 5 stars. I loved the characters, felt I got to know them intimately. And the writing style - a mixture of the narrator's simple but poetic long sentences and the characters' totally realistic dialogue. By the end of it you feel almost as though you have been living in Holt, Colorado and these are your neighbours.
on 26 April 2017
Loved this book. He tells a good story and I agree with all the other fans.
on 19 August 2017
I loved this book and the other 2 in Kent Harufs trilogy about fictional Holt Colorado he has an amazing way of writing gentle descriptive and blunt, these characters have stayed with me I want to return peep through their windows and see how they are doing!
on 3 June 2017
My first time to read this author - unputdownable, if there's such a word!
on 16 April 2017
A simple story but written with atmosphere and a tender touch. Characters felt very genuine. I enjoyed the gentle way it unravelled, no unexpected twists or leaps.
on 30 April 2017
enjoyed this at our book club
on 25 September 2017
A beautifully written evocation of a community with all its complexity. The landscape, characters and their hopes and fears vividly conveyed.I was sorry when I came to the end of the book.
on 10 August 2017
Gentle reading. Touches of Garrison Keiler I think? Nothing much happens in mid-west U S, but how descriptive and well-observed
on 2 January 2017
I have read it before and will read it again and again!
on 16 August 2017
It is what is says, beautiful plainsong . Haruf's writing draws you into the world of Holt - its residents and country