on 8 April 2017
on 1 June 2017
Great thanks
on 28 July 2017
Worth reading although not as amazing as his other book ' The Luck Factor '
on 7 July 2017
Good bopk
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 July 2012
Fundamentally, there's nothing new in the central idea of this book but Wiseman typically puts it forward in a modern, thought-provoking & thoroughly digestible manner. It's based on an idea first put forward over 100 years ago by psychologist William James (brother of novelist Henry James) which Wiseman says is well-known in academic papers but is rarely mentioned in books aimed at the public. He's also backed up James' theory with some modern-day experiments.

The idea is that we have confused the horse with the cart - that instead of investing time & money in self-help books which tell us how to change the very way we think, it's far easier to change the way we act in simple & subtle ways. It's essentially faking it until you make it. Want to feel happier? Force yourself to smile & you will actually feel better. Want to be more confident? Stand in a confident pose & it will effect how you see yourself.

Can it really be that simple? Apparently so. But Wiseman emphasises that the real challenge is in acting in a new way, instead of going back to our old habits. Hence the title - at certain points, Wiseman asks up to rip up certain pages in the book. That's because it's something we wouldn't usually do, so it will prepare us to do other things which we wouldn't usually do.

I'm sure I've heard this idea somewhere before, or perhaps it's merely something which I intuitively suspected. But knowing something in theory is one thing - having Wiseman's practical & well-researched tips into how to put it into practise is another.

Anyway, Wiseman's wise words encouraged me to give it a go. I've been making myself smile while walking to social events (which always make me nervous) & found that it really does make me happier & more confident, thus more sociable when I arrive. Part of it came from a silly little thrill that I may look utterly daft to passes-by & the knowledge that it's only smiling, so it doesn't really matter. It took a surprising amount of effort to remember to keep doing it but was also rather meditative & quite fun. Also, it occurred to me that the most easy-going people I know do actually have subtle smiles on their faces most of the time - I'm amazed I didn't notice this before.

This interesting book will change the way you look at the world & give you a better understanding of how our emotions work & how to use it to your advantage. Highly recommended.
33 Comments| 71 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 August 2012
Like a lot of people I found this book not only dissappointing but almost a 'rip off'. I am half way through and have heard on television or read many times 90% of what is written. Only someone who has never been interested in this kind of subject matter and has not bothered to read or listen to media opportunities of this kind,would learn anything substantial. This is why I have given it an objective 2 star rating. Subjectively I would only give it 1 star.
on 7 July 2012
Okay. I'm a big fan of Richard Wiseman: I love his work and the way he approaches books and the self-help arena itself. However, I have been a little disappointed with this latest effort.

As previous reviewers have said, it basically is a document arguing for the effectiveness of William James's seminal theory that acting 'as if' will predicate those behaviours. So, to feel in love all you simply need to do is act 'as if' you're in love and let your body physiology and sub conscious do the rest.

Each chapter focuses on the application of this theory to different generic self-help type labels (eg love, depression, will etc) with plenty of practical exercises backed up by various evidence. While this is interesting for the first couple of chapters it pretty quickly becomes a bit formulaic and 'samey' - there are only a finite ways of describing how to act 'as if'. Furthermore the references are generally very old and don't really go into enough depth to back up the assertions - results are solely attributed to the success of the 'as if' formula when other variables could have also explained it.

I also found quite a lot of duplicity from 59 Seconds, although Wiseman himself admits this.

All in all I enjoyed the book and like the main premise that something so simple can be effective in changing someone's life but I don't think this is anything new or revolutionary. I'm still a great fan of Wiseman and his work - he's doing a great deal of good for the industry and this book is easy to read and even easier to apply. I applaud his humour and style of writing - you'll get through this book in a couple of hours.

If you're going to buy a self-help book then you could do a lot worse than this, but get it with 59 Seconds and read both.
66 Comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 March 2013
I would have to agree with other reviewer's observations that this is 59 seconds part 2. Again it is a fun idea with references to studies but written in an easy style that would introduce people to psychology in a way that tv presenters introduce people to science. As a self help book if it is belief and confidence that is holding you back then there is something to benefit you. This is not a book to buy secondhand in theory as your copy may then have its cover ripped off and selected pages ripped out as the title forms part of the method of following the instructions. Much of the book follows an overlooked pioneer of the way mind and body works, in the links between the way the body is used and our feelings. You need to read this book if you are thinking of having botox, as there is scientific evidence pointing to your feelings being altered in line with your frozen face. It also makes you wonder how Freud and his theories became so widely accepted on the basis of some pretty odd theories based around sexual preoccupations but in writing this sentence, I think I have answered that question. On the whole, a good and interesting read but not a life changer.
on 21 November 2013
I am a little puzzled by one or two of the mixed reviews accorded to this book. It seems to be being criticised for repeating some of the ideas in 59 Seconds or for being generally less than original. I have no such reservations about it.

The point of this book is to give practical, engaging advice on how ordinary people - as opposed to psychology students - can make effective changes to their lives, based on a light-hearted but authoritative explanation of relevant research. It does this by taking one idea from 59 Seconds and thoroughly examining it.

So yes there is some duplication of ideas from 59 Seconds (though nothing of what one reviewer amusingly calls 'duplicity'), but the additional detail that the author can go into by exploring one idea so completely is really helpful. Gradually you start to realise just how profound a change might be made by applying this one idea in different areas of your life.

This is applied psychology for ordinary folks who just want the bottom line but don't aspire to the degree. It's tremendous fun and instantly applicable.
on 22 March 2013
I am a fan of Dr Wiseman but this is not one of his best books. His basic concept is 'Fake it till you make it', or modelling, I suppose. The book is much more padded out than, say, The Luck Factor or Did You Spot The Gorilla? Maybe that's down to the editor telling him more pages are better, but I'd prefer something short and succinct, it's not like I have loads of reading time anyway. The jokes seem to be getting cheesier, too.
Despite all this, it's fine, especially if you've never read anything by the author before, or aren't already familiar with positive thinking etc.