Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 December 2013
Simply can't praise this superb book enough. Daniel got his inspiration from Paul Zollo's 'Songwriters On Songwriting.' Daniel I think this is on a par. Really enjoyed the interviews with the likes of Ray Davies - surely should be titled by the establishment by now - the late Robin Gibb, Sting, and Noel Gallagher. Heaps of info. A truly great book for all pop fans.
on 14 October 2013
Such a book would never be easy to write, the subject matter being vast and requiring lots of specialist knowledge of music genres and artist histories.
The author has done it justice.
It is mainly in a question and answer format, which is easily readable.
A sequel is needed, there are of course many more songwriters in existence, and genres of music that this book does not touch i.e. Soul, Hip Hop, Reggae.
on 21 February 2016
Bought for my brother as a Christmas present from his Amazon list and found myself perusing it whilst I was supposed to be wrapping it. I look forward to borrowing it from him once he's finished with it!
on 19 September 2015
Anyone, who loves music, will love dipping into this book and learning the the art and craft of songwriting from creators of some absolute classics.
Lots of really fresh interviews too. Great book.
on 20 February 2014
Daniel has obviously carried out a great deal of research into each individual artist and consequently asks exactly the right questions and gets refreshingly honest answers. Try and get the artists songs on playback when you read - it colours the whole picture. Picador - give this man an advance for a sequel now !
on 13 September 2013
Fascinating conversations with British songwriters - from Ray Davies through Jimmy Page, Madness, Annie Lennox, Johnny Marr, Damon Albarn, Jarvis Cocker and many more. Really natural conversations that detail how each songwriter approaches writing, and some of the stories behind so many great and influential songs. Interesting approaches - often surprising - and the author has the writers thinking and reliving those writing times. A book to read from cover to cover and to dip into. A book that not only looks good on the coffee table, but will be regularly picked up and looked at again and again. There is so much in there - every pop/rock music lover should own it.
on 26 November 2013
Excellent book
Arrived in pristine condition, something I'm a bit of a geek about.
Lot's of artists "shorts" in it, so you can jump to and fro'
Luckily for me most of the songwriters are people I like.
on 28 November 2013
David Baddiel … fantastically interesting about songwriting… I'm loving the book

Caitlin Moran: Songwriters, on songwriting. Lydon, Davies, Marr: Jesus Christ this is good

John Lydon/PiL Official: This is one of the few interviews that pays full respect to John's musical and lyrical skills and is highly recommended.

Miranda Sawyer (Radio 4 Loose Ends): A fascinating book.

Elle McPherson: ‘…thoughtful and well-designed book.

Robert Elms (BBC London) It's a fascinbating insight into songwriting

Noel Gallagher: Without doubt the finest book I've ever read about songwriters and the songs they write. Fantastic insightful interviews.

Robin Banks: One of the most amazing music books I've ever come across. If you'd like an in depth and incredibly revealing analysis and insight into the musical creative force. and this from the artists who are driven by it - then this book is simply indispensable.........couldn't put it down
on 11 January 2014
I'm not an avid reader, much preferring to pick a stringed instrument up. That said I thought I'd make use of the handed down Kindle I acquired after Christmas. I'm only two chapters in - which each feature one songwriter, and so far read the Ray Davies and Robin Gibb chapters - and they have already given me fresh ideas about approaching songwriting. It would an easy book to dip into. I bought it because I wanted to hear about Ray Davies's approach to songwriting which didn't let me down, but learnt so much from Robin Gibb too.
I'm now up to Jimmy Page - I'm not a Zep fan and would have probably skipped this section, but am now intrigued to learn about his approach. About 8% in and I think I've easily had value for the purchase. Highly recommended to songwriters - nuff said!
on 5 January 2014
Firstly I will watch any documentary or read any book on music regardless of whether I like the artist or genre. So when I heard about this book from the author being interviewed on 6music I was very intrigued and not put off by previous comments.
Have to agree there is a lack of female writers (PJ Harvey for example).
There is also a lack of any genre other than white rock. There are some very inspiring writers but there is a lack of hip hop or reggae. Roots Manuva is a fabulous writer and although not in limelight a credible artist.
But I did enjoy the chapters with Lily Allen, John Lydon and Noel Gallagher (even though I'm not a fan of him or Oasis) and think this due to them not being pretentious about their art.