Customer reviews

1,531
Format: Paperback|Change

After reading the book numerous times, after seeing the original TV series first time round and many times since and after watching the film, it seemed all that was left was to listen to the audio book.

I had never purchased or listened to an audio book before and I wasn't disappointed. Stephen Fry is excellent and brings every character to life, the story (as ever) is wonderful and for me was the most pleasing part was that my nine year old daughter also loved it (Bringing a whole new dimension to our school run journeys).

If you love Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy buy this, if you have never experienced Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy but like surreal comedy then buy this, you won't be disappointed.

A word of caution however, be careful listening to this in the car as there are moments when you laugh so much.

P.S My second audio book has just been ordered "The Restaurant at the end of the Universe"
on 16 October 2016
I watched the movie first and loved it so decided to read this. It starts off similar but greatly changes about halfway through. You get a different sense of the characters and what they're like; their relationships with eachother are different too. I am not used to the writing style of Mr Adams so I did reread some passages here and there to get a grasp of what it was trying to say. It is a book that makes you reflect a lot and think "what if" for a lot of situations. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am int he process of reading the next book in the series.
on 14 February 2014
If you have a penchant for surreal comedy, word play and don't take things like religeon and human perceived wisdom too seriously, these are the books for you.

Adams said he wasn't much for a plot as such and I suppose that shows. A fixed plot, or the feeling that you're getting somewhere and then actually getting there, can be important for some readers more than others. The 'happy ending' (or unhappy ending for that matter) can be the very purpose of reading for some and those readers may well be left feeling a bit empty by the whole thing.

I have one little recommendation (and possibly slightly personal) though, that's probably obvious to most; don't try to read them all at once. By the middle of volume 3, things do feel a little 'samey' which could take the pleasure away and that would be a shame. After all, there were intervals twixt the writing of each volume, so even Adams took a break!
on 6 October 2013
Read all the books as a teenager thought they were wonderful then. However, now realise they are absolute genius. Mr Adams as a writer was able to unite the scienfiction with the satirical. As I am a big fan of both genres his books to me are just fantastic. As a rule I am very careful with the books I re-read however I am so glad I did as I noticed so much more I had either forgotten the first time round or lacked the maturity to understand. Many readers criticise the ending of the final book saying there is no way back. However, with all the twists plots and subplots running through the series of books a way would have been found. Sadly the untimely death of Douglas put pay to that. I am sure as many would agree I could not entertain reading anything by someone trying to emulate his style. RIP Douglas Adams a writing genius taken far too young.
on 3 February 2016
Positive
Its satire at its best. Endless humour and whit great for enticing new readers. The Author has a great take on philosophical and scientific theories without making one bored.

Negative
The cover is ugly and therefore I would recommend getting a hardcover as its a book you'll want to keep forever. So might as well invest in one more aesthetically pleasing. I did not let the look remove any stars as the book is that great.

I've added this book to my list of favorite books. Saving up to buy a first edition.
on 18 July 2013
This took me forever to read which is highly odd for me when it comes to Douglas Adams. I normally get through his books in one sitting and I laugh constantly. I don't know if I wasn't in the mood or if this book simply isn't as good as the others, but I didn't enjoy it as much and struggled at times to keep reading.

I think my problem is that I didn't find a plot. Adams isn't really known for his obvious plots but there is always some sort of story in the previous Hitchhiker books but this one hurdled around so quick in the first two thirds that I was lost, a tiny bit bored & not laughing at the jokes I would of otherwise found funny. I did find the last third enjoyable and I found myself finally getting into the book as it was just ending, typical really.

I will definitely finish the series and hope that this book isn't an omen for the last two.
on 7 June 2012
I was already familiar with Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy from the radio and TV programmes before I started reading the books, and until buying this set had not read the last two books in the trilogy.

This allowed me to re-live some of the joy I felt initially when hearing the words for the first time. Because, despite the somewhat grumpy and morose outlook of some of the lead characters in the early books, it was a deep joy to hear and then read the playful use of language - the surprising turnabouts when sentences didn't end where you expected, the delight of finding robots and computers with more character than the human and human like life forms around them. I was in love with Marvin (weren't we all). What else can you do when reading a sentence like: "The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't." than smile.

The final two books are different. The last one particularly shows a move towards a more mature style. For me, nothing can match the first book. Book four was the weakest but I was pleasantly surprised by book five. And I'm smiling again. I hope Mr Adams is sat in the bar of the final chapters, listening to the pub singer. Class!
on 17 June 2013
UTTER, UTTER GENIUS.

Have read these novels over and over many times, over the years, over.

They are still as fresh and as funny now as then.

Douglas was bang on with his humour and outlook on life that makes you wonder about the rest of humanity.

It is seriously missing out on something vitally important and unfortunately we shall never discover what that is due to his untimely departure.

The cast of characters may seem a bit OTT but I'm pretty sure that there are still people like that out there right now, and I don't mean on Betelguese.

These stories are a must read for anyone who doesn't take themselves or life too seriously.

The destruction of Earth and one earthmans exposure to the incredible, mindblowing vastness of space and his search for a decent cup of tea, whilst evading Vogons and white mice.
on 31 March 2012
Could not believe my eyes when i saw this as the deal of the day. Now having reread it, all I can say is thank you whoever you are at Amazon for getting this out on the Kindle. Other thing I cant believe is how long ago it was when i first read it.

I thought i knew the book(s) but boy was i wrong as I read I rediscovered things I had forgotten and laughed out loud again. If you dont know the story shame on you but its basically the misadventures of Arthur Dent and Ford Prefect as they bumble around the vast (and it is really really big) emptiness (or not so emptiness) of space. A slight delay in a piece of paper getting to the right folk (Aliens) at the right time leads to Earth being bulldozed for an intergaltic bypass that wasnt needed. Of course no one on Earth had read the planning application and so in move the bull or planet dozers, and with that off you go on a trip around the biggness of everything.

So if you want to discover who really rules the Earth, what the answer is, why Dolphins are Dolphins and what those lights in the night sky really are then this is not the book for you, however it might just be the answer to all your dreams you wont know till you read it or them or whatever.
on 15 April 2015
So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish: 4/5 (Hitchhikers Guide 4) by Douglas Adams

Rating: 4 out of 5

This is Book 4 of the Hitchhiker series but its very different to the first three. It features Arthur Dent, Ford Prefect and Marvin (briefly), I missed Trillian and Zaphod and obviously a whole lot more of Marvin. As always, it is a cleverly written book with typical Douglas Adams humour.

I was disappointed by the overt focus on romance in this copy (reminded me of cheapish 70s sci-fi movies with better dialogues). I would have preferred more space action to boring earthly love scenes.