on 30 June 2015
I love everything this man does. It takes you back to a different time. Please don't buy "Now then lad" by some one time copper. It is billed as "in the style of James Herriot". It's not. Herriot has more humility in his little finger than "old big head" (see my other review) has in his entire body.
on 31 January 2018
Another wonderful book to make you laugh and cry. Any fan of James Herriot will love it as much as any of his other books. Superb in every respect.
on 12 March 2015
I read the James Herriot books many years ago, on seeing the titlex on kindle i started to reread them. They have not lost their savour as funny, easy reads yet which have acute observations of both people and animals. It was like meeting old friends. So good to just slipback to Darrowby and the description of the Yorkshire dales paints such a picture of rural life as it once was.
on 14 April 2015
I don't know if there is an order of sequence to these books. However, if I have read this out of sequence, I guess I will be reading this again.

Great story line, lovely written and well described. I couldn't help but see the characters from the TV series All Creatures Great and Small.
on 25 April 2016
What can one say about James Herriot. Enjoyable, entertaining and humorousAlso the advantage that they can be read as short stories... just open anywhere and you've got a good short read
on 2 January 2014
Another book by James Herriot that you just want to read over and over again, he explains his wonderful work as a vet,
in such detail, you almost feel as if your there with him. His everlasting love for all the animals in his care, and his love
for all the hard work he tells of in every chapter is a real pleasure to read
on 1 November 2015
I haven't read this actual copy of the book yet. I did enjoy reading the same book that I had in the past however and wanted my own copy again as I know I shall find it happy and relaxing to read at bedtime.
on 11 January 2018
very good read
on 12 July 2016
Humorous and compelling reading, highly recommend this book as in fact are all those written by James Herriot. Go for it
on 28 May 2012
The humans are as interesting as the animals! Also, the structure of the book was really good: one chapter about what was happening on Mr Herriot's travels abroad and the next on vet experiences at home.I first read this book nearly 20 years ago, then lent it to a close friend and never had it reurned,so I bought a copy for next to nothing on Amazon.What value times over.I will read it again soon or maybe my other Herriot books, the kind of books you wish to not end and which you think about long afterwards...