on 24 April 2017
THIS is not the first time I've read this book. In fact it's the third over many years, starting with the original paperbacks. I do wish I'd kept them. I love the TV series too.
Beautifully written in a descriptive, humorous style ,the stories unfold of a newly trained vet. His busy , non glamorous job tending farm animals all over the beautiful hills and dales. It will make you laugh out loud one minute and bring a tear to your eye another but you won't want to stop reading. If you love animals ,people and wonderful countryside this is book you will love and probably reread every few years.
on 27 April 2017
I love everything James Herriot has written, but this the first compendium of books is his absolute best in my opinion. Young James is charming, funny and not afraid to make a fool of himself. Filled with brilliant characters and beautiful places, a great read.
on 1 September 2016
Read all these books years ago and am revisiting as many as possible during a holiday close to Finghall, near Constable Burton in the Yorkshire Dales. Brilliant stories, gentle but observant humour. A real treat.
on 18 October 2011
I've been a life long fan of James Herriot books and have a very well thumbed set of all his books. However, I recently discovered my 15 year old nephew loves reading but had never heard of James Herriot (intake of astonished breath!) So I thought I'd get him an introduction to the joys of Thirties Yorkshire and this book fits the bill as it is a couple of books in one. I just hope now that my nephew enjoys it as much as I have over the years!
on 18 May 2017
Love James Herriot and the tv series! All Creatures will always have a special place in my heart!

Well written!

Timeless classic!

And well acted!
on 29 May 2017
I forgot how good this is and just caught my hubs reading it! Classic
on 17 February 2016
I read these books many years ago but the pleasure I get from them never changes . I often re read them , a world away from the busy lives we lead now .
on 13 May 2017