Customer reviews

Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 March 2017
This book is so funny I've bought it for other people to read. It helped me and my husband get through a really tough time as I would read passages out loud. This book is not without its sad parts but all brilliant comedy is rooted in true depressing life moments and this book has those too. I can honestly say it's one of the best books I have ever read and Jenny Lawson is amazing. She speaks with a voice that makes you feel like you have a friend right there with you. Anyway I've digressed but this book is great, don't think about it just buy it already.
on 8 October 2017
Another amazing book from Jenny
on 3 August 2017
This book is utterly bonkers, but I absolutely loved it. I laughed out loud so many times. Highly recommend it for any woman who wants a good giggle!
on 4 March 2015
Properly laugh out loud funny. Couldn't put it down and have reread it since.
on 28 October 2013
This book is Bat. S***. Insane.
Probably because the woman who wrote it is Bat. S***. Insane.
It's also utterly awesome, and makes me wish everything was like this - only, then it would be called Bat S*** Normality. Still, it'd be a lot more fun!
NOW BRACE YOURSELF FOR MY SERIOUS VOICE: I loved the weird, eclectic stories, the quirky, stream-of-consciousness humour that crossed the line so frequently it was like one of those dotted ones with gaps they paint down the middle of the road to show you're allowed to overtake... and the plethora of references to dildos and vaginas (which may be because I'm a man, but then many of the vagina references are to a cow's vagina which, as an object, holds very little fascination for me at all. Wow. I think I used the word `vagina' more in this review than I have in the last ten years. But then, I'm married.) Sorry - I seem to have lost my `serious voice' somewhere in there. Perhaps I should just wrap this up by saying, I love vaginas. No! Sorry, that just slipped out. I mean, I LOVED this book. I laughed so hard at the first half that my wife made me go out and buy incontinence pants before she'd let me read the second half. Thank God for leather sofas, is all I can say. And... side-tracked again, my apologies. Where were we? Oh yes. Buy this book. And don't sit on anything that stains whilst reading it, unless you have exceptional bladder control. Or a dog to blame.
on 30 October 2013
What started out as a curiously amusing tale rapidly became boring, largely due to the author's style of writing. A proper editor should have gone to work on this. She just waffles on in a chaotic, stream-of-conscious manner which may work well in a short blog post but in a book it has the effect of making it extremely tedious to read and highly put-downable. At halfway through I could stand no more and gave up on it.
on 28 August 2016
I bought this book after reading Furiously Happy, Lawson's 2nd book. It makes great reading if you are on holiday or for your morning commute. Chapters are not too long & each is like a small snippet of Lawson's life. I found it very funny & there were many times when I read parts & had to share with those close by.
on 4 October 2017
It's taken longer than usual to finish this book and I put that down to the craziness that is my life but finish it I have and it's a book that will stay with me forever.

Let's Pretend This Never Happened is a true look into the life of Lawson, her husband, Victor, who, although long-suffering, is her soul mate, her anchor and their daughter, Hailey who will grow up with so many exciting, funny stories, thanks to her parents.

Most of the stories in this book seem too ludicrous and hilarious to be true, but they are. Some stories will bring a lump to your throat and tears to your eyes (in sadness and in laugh out loud joy!). It's certainly a roller coaster of a book. It's clear that Lawson wrestles with her emotions and battles with anxiety and depression but the way she uses these negatives and turns them into positives is genius. She'd get on very well with one of my all time favourite writers, James Josiah. The collaboration would be incredible.

Lawson's head must run at a million miles an hour and there's a madness in her stories and the way she tells them. As a reader, it's hard to catch your breath at times but the stories are so brilliant, hilarious, moving and touching that it's well worth the race to the end. But the biggest, strongest theme that runs through the book is LOVE. Lawson and her husband share so much together, the best and the worst. On paper, they really shouldn't gel but the reality is, they're made for each other. They are chalk and cheese, just like so many of us dysfunctional couples but isn't that what makes for a long term relationship? I say yes, and it's why my husband and I have been together 19 years. That doesn't just happen you know, it's bloody hard work. For both of us. But it's worth it.

I thoroughly enjoyed every heartfelt belly laugh, even the tears and I cannot wait to read more of Lawson's work.
on 25 April 2017
I've loosely followed Jenny Lawson online for the last couple of years, generally since Beyonce the chicken went viral. So, I knew who she was going in. But honestly I only picked the book up because my book club chose it for the read this month. I opted for the audio version because I didn't know that I would really feel invested in it otherwise. I don't know if that would have been true or not, but I'm awful glad I got the audio. I think I got a lot more enjoyment out of hearing her tell her stories than I would have from reading them. Don't get me wrong, she has a really recognizable voice, even when writing, but I'm glad I made the choice I did. I can always look at the pictures later. Surely someone will bring the actual book to our meeting next month.

I very much like the way Lawson set herself and her husband Viktor up as a double act or, what the Japanese would call Manzai. He's the straight man, all reasonable and level headed and she's the silly one, the funny (wo)man. Of course, it's all from her perspective and a lot of her humor is at the expense of her own mental health, but it is still funny and endearing, as the affection for him (and eventually her daughter) definitely comes across.

In the beginning I was a little put off as the entries felt random. They were funny, but not much more. But eventually Lawson started pulling themes and life advice from the stories, which I thought went a long way toward making it feel less erratic. At times, the humor felt a bit contrived, like someone desperately seeking attention. But overall I enjoyed it.

All in all, good job book club. I wouldn't have chosen it on my own, but I enjoyed it all the same.

Note: borrowed from library
on 26 August 2016
This will not open on my kindle so I have been unable to read it - very disappointed as I paid quite a bit for it in comparison to other kindle books