Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 July 2012
I have to say I found this writer's style hard work. It was sort of like finding a moderately funny 13 year old girl and then giving her 5 red bulls to drink and writing down the ensuing stream of consciousness. Started to grate by about page 3. There were some funny parts (her high school), the touching parts (her dog's death and the ensuing vulture...problem) and she certainly does good character sketches of people around her but I'd be stuck on three stars for that. But then there is the magic squirrel story. I cried from laughing so hard and actually had to take a breather because it had reached that stage where laughter has become actively unpleasant and I couldn't bear to read on without calming down a bit. I still can't even hear the word squirrel without chuckling a bit. So for that it gets 4 stars. Provided your sense of humour is quite...dark.
on 27 August 2014
Erm, well Jenny admits she's slightly crazy... she says what a lot of us think but would never voice! This book is funny but more than that, it's an amazing insight into anxiety disorder. I will be more cautious about judging people after reading this book. I'm not sure if I could read another Jenny Lawson book though- if you like your books to be nice and orderly, don't buy it. Jenny rambles her way through this book in a touching and humorous manner.
on 20 September 2014
Let’s Pretend This Never Happened has been on my radar and on my wishlist for a long time (it was listed on my 2012 wishlist on goodreads, which I used to choose books for The Wishlist Challenge last year). As with many things which I actually buy from my wishlist it was on special offer when I bought it- I have the awful tendency to add things to my wishlist but then buy things which are not on it. Part of me wishes I had bought it sooner, but then I wouldn’t have got a bargain. Anyway I am waffling.

Jenny Lawson is probably best known as The Bloggess but that’s not how I ‘discovered’ her. I read a few reviews of Let’s Pretend The Never Happened which compared Jenny Lawson to Caitlin Moran. Seeing as I pretty much got a girl crush on Caitlin Moran as a result of reading How To Be a Woman I basically had to add Let’s Pretend This Never Happened to my wishlist. Then it sat on my wishlist for about a year before I saw a few links to The Bloggess and decided to check her out. I knew it was Jenny Lawson so I’m not sure why I hadn’t looked at her blog initially, but it made me want to read the book even more, then it was on offer on kindle so I snapped it up.

First off I should say if you are easily embarrassed then don’t read this in public. You will not be able to contain your laughter in certain parts. (And guess what? If you try to explain to your boyfriend what you’re laughing at he will just look at it like you’re crazy, and say something about how it cannot possibly be true, because what person would think that making a squirrel into a puppet and pretending that it’s magic is good children’s entertainment?) I suppose I should say that there are bits that people might be a bit squeamish about (lots about taxidermy, and hunting, and wearing dead animals…yeah). At times I was squeamish myself but then something was funny, and I would forget things like Jenny accidentally running inside a deer (yes, that did happen).

As with How to Be a Woman there were serious bit too. Although most things had a funny spin put on it. It was good to see Jenny Lawson explaining things in a more serious mode however, some things require a more serious tone. I think Caitlin Moran has a very similar sense of humour to Jenny Lawson too, although I also think I preferred How To Be A Woman, maybe because it was closer to my own experiences. I should really get around to buying Moranthology- that’s been on my wishlist since it came out.
on 5 May 2012
I've been waiting for this book for a while, as I've been a fan of Jenny Lawsons blog page 'the blogess'.
The book arrived this morning, and within the first five pages I'd already snorted coffee out of my nose.
I'm now a few of chapters in and it's living up to my hopes. Very funny, very human, hilariously inappropriate at times, and wonderfully written.
Now leave me alone so I can get on with reading it!
on 13 January 2013
I love Jenny Lawson's blog, The Blogess, so it was a no-brainer for me to buy this book. I was not disappointed. Jenny's (I feel I know her so can call her by her first name!) humour is wry, bizarre and utterly hilarious. I recommend you buy this for yourself, and that you buy it for anyone you know, then select your friend base on whether they enjoyed it too!
on 20 June 2012
Written in the same style, this book is written in the same witty style as the blog. The content, however, is almost entirely unique.
In addition to being highly amusing, the book provides an interesting insight into the lives of people who suffer panic attacks.
on 26 March 2016
I laughed until I cried. I laughed until I shot water out of my nose. I laughed so much I kept my husband awake. I laughed on the train. I laughed in the car. I laughed at a wedding because I remembered something I had read earlier that day. Read it. If you don't laugh you are probably dead inside.
on 29 October 2012
I first picked this book up whilst browsing in a book shop. Flicking through it was enough to make me smile, and so I decided to treat myself, and bought it for my Kindle.
This book is only the second book (Caitlin Moran's How to be a Woman was the first) to make me laugh out loud on the tube. Proper laughter, the kind that bubbles up and you are unable to suppress. The kind that leaves you helpless and spluttering.

I absolutely loved this book.

Ok, it might not be for everyone. There is a fair amount of swearing which didn't bother me in the slightest, (in fact I found it quite amusing) but I suppose it might be too much for some. For anyone looking for a book that will make you grin and potentially lead to you making a total d1ck of yourself laughing aloud on public transport, this is totally for you. I really cannot recommend it highly enough.
on 8 November 2012
I really enjoyed this book it was different to anything else I have read. Her father likes to hunt and stuff animals and so her childhood is full of rather weird anecdotes about this. I thought it was emotional as well as she has also had mental health and physical health problems and the way this is discussed is open and honest. A great book.
on 21 April 2014
My girlfriend had to keep taking it away because it made me laugh so hard I couldn't breathe.

If you're a fan of her blog, buy the book. If you're not, start reading the blog, THEN buy the book.