Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 July 2013
I've always enjoyed the campus novels of David Lodge, Kingsley Amis et al and this a good early example of the same genre. Bradbury is usually an engaging and amusing writer and this book doesn't disappoint. Some of the views expressed by the book's characters are very much of their time and we would now think of them as being borderline sexist/racist, but I think this provides a true reflection of the late 1950s when the book was written. Overall an enjoyable read.
on 10 October 2010
Malcolm Bradbury's first novel and a favourite with many of his readers. I would say he was one of our best writers and start with this book if you are yet to read him. You will quickly buy whatever he wrote.
on 6 November 2000
I bought this book on a spur of the moment wim and didnt put it down for several days. Its funny, observant and well written.
Once or twice I received some very strange looks from people due to my stifled guffawing on the London underground - but it really is that type of book.
If you really fancy something different, then look no further than this title....
on 25 December 2012
I have been meaning to read this novel for decades and I was delighted to find it better than most of Bradbury's stuff.
on 5 January 2011
When thinking of Malcolm Bradbury's oeuvre, I immediately classify it as campus novels and this is one example. Publication in 1959, or about then, explains some of the dated attitudes but, even so, there is entertainment value in the characters. However, for me, the campus novel exponent is David Lodge and, I think, always will be. What a shame that he doesn't seem to produce work to the standard of Small World et al.
on 6 March 2015
Rubbish from start to finish. I couldn't wait to get to the end so I didn't have to torture myself with picking it up again!!