Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 10 January 2013
My grandmother said if you can't say anything good about someone keep quiet and I have noticed from most of my previous reviews I only write reviews and recommend 5 star books. Time to ignore granny and get a little outside my comfort zone.

I thought this book was 'OK' - Don't get me wrong I found the authors knowledge of the subject very very good. The subject idea itself was fascinating. But when reading it however I was not set alight, and to tell the truth I struggled to finish it, something did not gel for me. It was as if the author was writing as he talked and began to jump onto other subjects, and people, and dates, before he came back to the main one. It clunked along and never really made me feel I had enjoyed the experience.
on 30 January 2013
You can tell this was written by a journalist. All facts, precision and very little embellishment with anecdotes that grim stories like this need to make them the human story that they are.
on 24 May 2013
Really struggled to finish this. The story just plods along without any real excitement. Too much emphasis is placed on Cohens life style, there is very little detail placed on his criminal activities. My impression after reading the book is that Cohen was no big gangster at all, just a wannabe who lived like a gangster. The cops are portrayed as a crack anti-gangland squad, when in fact they seem to be mainly dealing with small time criminals. Most boring true crime book I've read
on 8 December 2012
This is a well written book which is hard to put down, having written a book set in a similar era with similar theme before getting this book, I found the information was very useful to have.

The book traces the history of some of the organised crime big shots that came to Los Angeles seeking to expand or start up their business unchallenged.

On the other side of the coin, are the Detectives who were set up into an elite squad to counter this threat from organised crime.

IF you liked the LA Confidential film, this book will certainly interest you.

A squad loosely based on the LAPD gangster squad called the 'Hollywood Hardcore Hurricanes' is featured in the fictional novel LAPD Hollywood 121: THe Olivia Pages case, published on kindle, written by Ed Van Meyer.
on 7 March 2013
I really enjoyed this book I could almost envisage the big Californian city in the 40s and 50s, the tough cops and the hoods they were after.Great story,readers of James Ellroy would probably enjoy it,some of the cops read like characters out of his novels.
on 13 November 2013
I thought this book was written more like a novel, instead it's written more like a report. It's very hard to get into so I gave up after a couple of chapters.
on 8 February 2013
Really wanna go and see the film now the book was interesting about it being really to life and u feel like you are actually there in that era.
on 4 September 2013
My husband read this book and I couldn't get him away from it.I think he liked it!!!!!!!
Not a book for me.