Customer reviews

101 Poems for Children Chosen by Carol Ann Duffy: A Laureate's Choice
Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 April 2017
Beautiful choices, and my 6 year old immediately drew a poster about a Jabberwock
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 August 2014
I bought this for my six-year-old daughter who has zeroed in on her poetry-writing lessons at school, and is writing her own poems at home.

It's not what I expected. Though it does have "The Owl and the Pussycat" in it, overall the poems are quite mature and serious, even dour, and the reading age is 9+ years. The soft pencil illustrations are attractive but quiet. It is the complete opposite of what I would expect in a children's poetry book.

In her introduction, Carol Ann Duffy said she purposely chose mature poems, because she wanted the anthology to be one that the child would read and use right up until adulthood. So I shouldn't have got it in paperback then, because physically it's not going to last until adulthood, never mind intellectually.

But my daughter likes it. She's reading it to herself - even though she can only read two words in three. She's reading it out loud to me. She's trying to learn some of the shorter ones off by heart, and performing them to us. And she's copying the illustrations in her own pictures. All of her own accord.

So maybe Ms Duffy knows something about children's appetite for poetry that I don't.

Will get it in hardback after our current copy has fallen to bits.
on 13 September 2017
This book is very fun and almost reads itself to you. I thought you could guess what some poems were like as the words seemed to flow through my head. Some of the poems are sad and some are happy and others bring other emotions. In this book I noticed a classic poem 'The jabber-woki'.

I liked this book because it has a range of poems and at least one that you will love. Also this book has some intriguing pictures to go with the poems. I would suggest this book to all ages, even adults.

By Rosie-May
on 29 April 2013
Thank you for product. Fantastic. Great book and an excellent read, just what I need for my poetry projects and poetry writings
on 24 April 2016
I'm not usually one to be motivated to write a negative review of anything.
Sadly though, my wife and I were both very disappointed with this book. It is called 101 Poems For CHILDREN but really, as a package is Not suitable for children. Even as a fairly intelligent adult, I didn't understand some of the poems in this book. Where are the fun poems, where are the modern poems? It's very old fashioned. We were hoping for a book that would inspire our child to love poetry, but it has (if anything) confused and not helped. We will continue to look for a more suitable book. Very disappointed.
on 16 May 2015
I bought this book to read poems to my class & was quite shocked to find some really dark poems in there about death and abduction! Not quite what I had in my mind when I ordered 101 poems 'for children!!'
on 17 November 2015
My Grandaughter of 8 did not really like it.
on 30 September 2015
Great choice of poems. Disppointed that there were so few illustrations. I think that the book should have been in a larger format.
on 10 February 2017
My child likes to be amused. If you have a wide eyed hilarious, energised six year old keen to read more poems, don't buy this.
on 3 December 2015
Sophisticated poems for children! a book that adults will buy because they think it suitable for children and so on