Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 June 2005
I have read a few of the alphabet series, in no particular order, and thought every one of them brilliant. I love Kinsey Millhone, she is flawed enough to be funny, believable and human. This outing had me hooked from the off, and when she found Guy Malek I felt like I knew the man. How I wished they would get together! I was so sad at the events that unfolded, and the cruel twist as the truth about Guy's honour among his dishonest brothers was revealed. When Kinsey found the note in her car, I nearly wept- but read the book to find out everything for yourself. You won't regret it- the characters are so real, if you will excuse the tired cliche, I feel as if I know them by now. Guy Malek is another one to add to the list of people I forget aren't real and never have been.
on 12 April 2014
As with all the Sue Grafton alphabet books they are individual stories but reading A - W Kinsey Millhone, the female Private Detective grows and not only do you read about the case in question but it follows her love life or lack of at times and are really enjoyable reads. This is my third time going through the series as I first had them in books and are now transferring to my kindle and I know in future I shall read them again.
on 5 February 2002
I had never read any of Sue Grafton's novels until a month ago when I picked up "M is for Malice". I thought it was a brilliant , suspenceful read and for a hardened reader of crime novels I actually shed a tear at the very end. The heroine Kinsey is thoroughly believable and a real flesh and blood character. I'm looking forward to reading more of Sue Grafton's works.
on 12 January 2014
It is formulaic but that can be good,as it gives a familiarity to certain aspects, leaving the plot as the really interesting core. I like her writing. You KNOW her land-lord, you KNOW her local diner, you KNOW her home- but you don't KNOW whodunnit ,or why,for a good while. What will we do when she runs out of alphabet?
on 9 February 2013
If you love crime stories then you will love this one and if not already a fan of the ABC Murders then you soon will be in my opinion. Like her books up to now the main character is a young thiryish femal who had been in the police force but decided to go into business for herself as a Private Eye.
This book is heart breakingly sad. From the moment Kinsey finds Guy Malek and brings him home to share his inheritance you know he is doomed and he is so lovely. Even the usually emotionally watchful Kinsey falls for him in a big way, which makes it a double loss. You will her on to avenge his murder and the ending has a neat twist which only makes the tragedy harder to bear. This is stupendous crime writing at its melancholy best.
on 21 October 2013
I love the alphabet series, then stopped reading them a long time ago. Thought I would try another after loads of rom-com books. Sue Grafton captured my interest immediately and it was good to track Kinsey's continuing PI life.
on 19 September 2013
I have been reading the series from the beginning, in order; I love Kinsey for her humour, humanity and willingness to plough on regardless. The descriptions of the people and places take you right there, also always spiced with a gentle smile. The plot always moves on at the right pace; reading the stories in order makes them seem like chapters in one long book, as Kinsey goes in revealing herself. Always a good read.
on 28 August 2012
I have read a few of these books by Sue Grafton and some of them are very hit and miss. I have not read them in any order. This book I got well over half way and gave up as the murder had not even happened and there was just no plot to the book.
on 25 October 2009
Sue Grafton keeps up her excellent standard in this book. The plot is the usual blend of the everyday and the complex and we are fully involved with our heroine Kinsey. I do recommend that readers start at A and carry on through the series as though each book is stand-alone the relationship that we develop with our PI is an important ingredient. Anyone who enjoys a good and realistic detective yarn without miraculous technology and with twists and turns and nothing too stupidly coincidental, will enjoy these books and this one is no exception.