Format: Paperback|Change

This is Grafton at her best. I love it when Kinsey has to go undercover and this kept my heart tripping until the last page. It is a tightly woven plot which speeds along building up the tension to breaking point. The car theft strand promises to be quite tedious at the beginning but Grafton successfully injects this story with more than enough menace to make it a real page turner.
on 1 November 2015
As always this writer delivers a great read. i love this style of book because it is written in first person. other books that i have enjoyed written in this style include Mike Faricy's Dan Haskell, which is set in the US and in the UK, the Penny Detective which is an excellent read by John Tallon Jones and is set in a fictional town near Liverpool.
on 20 April 2016
Compelling night-time reading, as with all her books; clever, drole observations, and again a window into the lives of the utterly poor in the USA and a glimpse of the elitism and arrogance of the wealthy
on 12 August 2014
This is not one of her best stories, still ploughing thru it, I can usually get thru her books in a few nights, less when I'm on holiday, I prefer it when Kinsey is working from home with Henry etc, she's working away in this one and I'm not connecting with the characters, hasn't put me off reading more sue grafton tho.
on 22 January 2006
H is for Homicide is pretty obviously the 8th instalment in the Alphabet series of murder mysteries staring our intrepid private investigator Kinsey Millhone. In this book we pick up Kinsey returning from a successful three-week investigation. In her absence though a new boss has been brought into California Fidelity to generally shake things up and save money. For poor Kinsey this means an interview with the dreaded Gordon Titus as Kinsey rents her office space from the insurance company.
After the explosive “chat” with Gordon, Kinsey is straight onto a job for California Fidelity investigating a case of potential false claim by a woman named Bibianna Diaz. Kinsey tracks down Bibianna but although she find she actually quite likes the feisty young woman, their evening out together ends in disaster when Bibianna’s boyfriend (an interestingly enough an old flame of Kinsey’s) ends up shooting someone.
This isn’t the most involved of the Kinsey books and rather simple plot and sometimes repetitive storyline might seem like a let down. Where the book does score excellently though is the superb characters that litter the pages, whether it’s the deluded fiancée of Bibianna, the scary Raymonda, his stoic sidekick Luis or Bibianna herself these bunch of strong characters will have you glued to the pages.
on 21 September 2013
I`'ve only just started reading this series of books, and although they follow the same formula, Kinsey gets a seemingly simple case, that turns out to be something more involved, usually ending with a frantic ending. This one is slightly different, in that she reluctantly goes undercover to infiltrate a gang working an insurance fraud.
One thing I like about Sue Graftons books is that the solutions are unfolded slowly over the last few chapters, there's no gathering of the suspects in the library. However this one did end rather abruptly, this was because the epilogue was after the acknowledgements and authors profile.
One other point, these early books in the series were written before the advent of mobile phones and the internet, so a lot of the time Kinsey is driving around visiting various institutions or trying to sneak of, to use a payphone. It will be interesting to read how the stories develop in the future.
Oh well 8 down 15 to go.
on 23 July 2013
I am a fan of Sue Grafton's books and decided to read them in alphabetical order. This one was rather boring. The characters were not very appealing and the plot didn't seem to go anywhere. I struggled to finish it - and the ending didn't make it all worthwhile!
on 1 October 2001
All of the alphabet stories have been excellent but this will be a favourite. She is an excellent character for all of us girls who are fed up with the "scream and faint" females in this world. I would love to act like her. She is independent, gutsy, nosey and happy with her lot.
on 6 November 2014
I love reading Sue Grafton's books as they have you gripped from the start right to the end. Sue Grafton is an outstanding writer as far as I'm concerned, I have really enjoyed reading her alphabet series!!!!!!!!!!
on 28 May 2012
I have enjoyed everyone of her books that I have read and this is 2nd time over as I qriginally read them through the Library. Now I am reading them on my Kindle, so I can keep them this time.