on 13 January 2016
The beginning story of a Saxon from England going to Gaul to Charlemagne's court and finding his feet, with this story's climax based on the Song of Roland. I'm afraid I was disappointed and I shan't be buying future stories in the series - I found the writing rather same-ish all through with not enough umph in the vital spots. It did give me a taste of the background events and situations but not enough to make me want to buy more, I'm afraid.
on 6 December 2017
An interesting novel with a good mix of facts worked into the story.
on 25 January 2017
I've just read this book for the second time. I find Tim Severin's crisp descriptions and believable characters create a picture in the mind that's as clear as any TV show or film. I'd highly recommend this series of books if you are interested in this period of history, and also read Severin's 'Viking' trilogy.
on 27 April 2014
Not really a good read. A lot of reading without a great story. The ending was came whwn I was expec ting another chapter. Can't really advise anyone to read this. I like a really gripping story that makes you want to keep reading but with this tht didn't happen. Sorry.
on 27 June 2014
I have been reading a lot recently of the Saxons so this book came as a surprise as it was based mostly in France and Spain, but highly enjoyable anyway. I will be looking for more by the author.
on 12 January 2016
A truly dreadful book. Poorly written in a linear and mundane style, and a story that leaves you underwhelmed.
on 14 April 2018
I really enjoyed the whole series, a mixture of intrigue and battles spread over most of early-medieval Europe.
on 29 August 2016
Read whilst on holiday. A good yarn
on 2 May 2014
Was not sure to begin with as I had not heard of this author, however, I started to read the novel, and as I got into the story, I could not put the book down.
on 22 September 2014
I have,e never read anything of this particular time and place in history and found it very interesting not to say gripping.