on 18 June 2008
A most beautiful and fascinating read. I am already a huge fan of Tor Freeman, and have all her previous books, and this is a most welcome new addition!!! As well as being a stimulating and engaging read, it is educational, and throughout the book we learn all about the various skills of the most weird and wonderful insects - all illustrated with the greatest warmth and humour. The detail in the illustrations is just amazing and you just want to spend hours poring over every detail! Highly recommended!
on 18 June 2008
I have just ordered five copies of this book to give to my son's friends for their fourth birthdays. It looks so beautiful and the detail is very witty. My kids are all fascinated by insects and I really loved the way that this book gently informs about the different skills of various insect species. My son was very excited to see insects he recognised, like woodlice- only smiling at him!
Very highly recommended. I will certainly be keeping an eye on this author as her work so far has been consistently going for gold- in my view. Check out "Rah"- or "Petwash" if you need more convincing.
on 17 June 2008
Yet another delightful picture book from Tor Freeman with her typical humour and warmth. Using a gentle palette of warm tones and soft line, we follow Ambrose as he struggles to find the thing that he is really good at in the world; a theme relatable to both children and adults alike. The attention to detail and great characterisation come together to make this a thoroughly enjoyable tale!
on 25 May 2008
This is a cracker. Tor Freeman has given us a near perfect tale for picture-book readers. The story is the simplest possible: if at first you don't succeed... But the wit and style with which the tale of the Insect Games is presented will captivate most parents as well as the children. And the timely exploitation of the Olympic zeitgeist is charmingly crafty. Pure Gold.
on 9 June 2008
Ambrose's olympic quest is a story with ageless resonance. It is illustrated with Tor Freeman's characteristic wit and charm, and in brilliant detail: a winning combination. The moral of the story - everyone is good at something - is conveyed without patronising the reader (or readee); a rare quality.
on 7 July 2008
This is a gorgeous little thing. If you want a beautifully, freshly, illustrated story to ram home the much needed truth of everyone's uniqueness, then here it is. Tor Freeman has done a great job in creating an instantly lovable character, full of just that - character. Love it.
on 23 March 2014
A great, fun story that teaches little ones that it's ok not to be the best at everything and that everyone is good at something. Although the story does have a good moral, you don't feel (as you do with some kids books) that it's being rammed down your throat.
One very minor criticism is that I don't think the pictures are as brilliant as the story. I think more vibrant, colourful illustrations would have made it an even more enjoyable read (inside the pictures are less colourful than on the front cover) but there is a lot of funny detail in them that my little boy will appreciate more as he gets older. It's a good choice of book.
on 3 April 2012
I bought this book after seeing it read on cbeebies bedtime hour. It has a sweet story which tells of everyone being good at something. The illustrations are fun with lots to look at on each page. I absolutely love reading this to my children and this is the first book they pick at bedtime. Highly recommended.
on 26 March 2013
My 5 year old twins love this book. We read it every night without fail before bed. They love the cute characters and the heart warming story line. A truly great read for this age! Also bought another book by the same author.
on 21 April 2010
Great book, great pictures. My 23 month old grandson loves it and has learned the names of insects and their sounds from it. So good I bought another one for my grandaughter.