on 20 June 2013
A M Dean's powerful debut conspiracy thriller, The Lost Library, draws you in and sets you off on a dangerous and gripping journey full of mystery and suspense and a plot that weaves and interlinks adding depth and layers to the fast paced storyline.
After the keeper of the secret hiding place of the Library of Alexandria is murdered, the unlikely heroine of the story, Emily Wess sets out across the globe following clue after clue in the hope of discovering its whereabouts and saving and protecting the knowledge within it from falling into the corrupt hands of the Council. Meanwhile, in the USA, a political plot is set into motion with the Council once again the masterminds behind this subversive plan.
This for me was an excellent read and one I would certainly recommend. I am very much looking forward to the next.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 24 November 2013
I still gave it four stars because it is extremely well written and obviously, a lot of hours of research have been involved. But.... and this is where I am disappointed. I expected a solid conspiracy theory, a mysterious quest. The story is all that but it does not feel like it. What is missing is the ''cloak and dagger'' ingredient.I did not feel the anticipation and the shroud of mystery surrounding any conspiracy theory.
I felt I was reading a Nancy Drew's mystery (I am a great fan of Nancy Drew, by the way) rather than a dangerous mission of finding the lost library of Alexandria. I found Emily Weiss extremely naive and annoying, despite being a university professor. She irritated me so much by always denying what was right in front of her eyes.
The problem is that everything was too easy. The clues were too easy, the plot was too easy. If Emily could decipher the clues so easily, especially about the name of her contact, I do not see why the baddies could not.
So, I preferred to concentrate on the academic side of the book, about the history of the Lost Library that I found quite fascinating.
This will not stop me recommending the Lost Library, though, to anyone who likes a ''cosy'' mystery or Indiana Jones' adventures. As I said earlier, it is well written and the history is good. I understand it is a début novel, so, as such it is quite good, and I felt the story was ''warming up'' towards the 75% and things were happening all at once.
I have bought the second in the series, The Keystone and I think it will be a good read as I have already read a sample.
on 16 April 2014
This book had me hooked from page one. The writing is fast-and-furious (which I love) and the subject matter - the Lost Library of Alexandria - intrigued me. I preferred it to the Da Vinci Code which, although thoroughly enjoyable, irritated me at first with its outpourings of facts and figures. Not so this book.

The characters are well-drawn, without the excruciating detail which doesn't allow for your imagination to take over, and the chapters are short which, to my way of thinking, does allow for a faster, choppier pace.

I cannot say enough good things about this book - so, after highly recommending it, I am off to find more of A. M. Dean's work to read...
VINE VOICEon 26 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
This book will remind you of the Dan Brown books as you start to read it, with Arno Holmstrand killed in his office then two letters to Emily Wess who knew of Arno but did not think he knew her. But he had plans for her and the letters lead her around the world. She learns what Arno had planned for her future then she has another letter from him and she is off again.
This book was one that had you at the first chapter and held you to the end, it would make a great film.
I even ordered the Kindle version of the book for my Brother. A very good read.
on 19 February 2013
This is definitely a better read than Dan Brown and if you enjoy a fast-paced race to discover a secret with your enemies in hot pursuit, then this is the read for you. The short chapters, which some other reviewers have complained about, add to the pace of the novel as the reader is taken from one location/character to the other. The basic story is about a young woman, Dr Emily Wess, who is given the task of following clues to the whereabouts of the lost library of Alexandria. Given the task by the former Keeper of the Society, Emily soon discovers that she is not alone in her quest as the secret Council follow her, leaving death and destruction in their wake. And, of course, soon Emily herself is in mortal danger. Based on some real historical facts, A M Dean weaves this story through twists and turns towards the surprising conclusion. Easy to read, I found this book hard to put down. It is not intellectual or academic, but it is enjoyable.
on 8 November 2013
The general pace and plot was enjoyable and fairly typical of the genre but what I found interesting was the idea of what the library of Alexandria might look like today. If you read the book you will find out what I mean by this. Overall though this book did exactly what I wanted - it gave me a world to let myself get immersed in and escape into. For only £1.19 I had a was able to get away from the post-work fatigue for a few evenings and find enjoyment in a decent plot.
on 1 September 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable read. The story is fast-paced and, in places, intriguing. I didn't want to put it down! Informative and intelligently written, it takes one of the world's great mysteries and turns it into an extremely entertaining read.
on 15 January 2014
I have to admit that after reading many historic fiction books I was very surprised at the outcome of this book. A blending of old and new with twists in every chapter.
I am now going to read his next book and I am sure that it will be just as good.
on 16 March 2014
An engrossing first novel. Shades of Academia are skillfully woven into the narrative without losing the tight focus of the quest. The villain and his cohorts are perhaps a tad overblown, hinting at a film script of the modern, gross genre. Shades of Dan Brown here, but none the worse for it. I enjoyed it.
on 13 May 2013
A thoroughly enjoyable, fast-paced, missing-artefact / conspiracy-theory thriller. Though the comparisons with Dan Brown are inevitable, the (pseudonymous) author's real-life historical roots show through with much more "naturally detailed" descriptions of the various historical places the heroine visits in her globe-trotting quest to beat the bad guys. My one reservation would be that some of the bad-guys' omniscient tracking abilities are probably (hopefully!) a little too all-encompassing, but this is a small niggle in an otherwise excellent story.