Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 October 2013
I love Oliver Sacks, everything he writes is informative, and very sensitive to his subject matter, this book is no exception I found it a good read.
on 14 January 2013
As I am unitiated into the realms of halucinating- causation and reasoning; I found it informative with excellent pointers for further research.
VINE VOICEon 28 November 2012
I have always loved anything written by Oliver Sacks, he speaks about sometimes complex medical issues with real feeling by telling the story of symptoms through the eyes of his patients who are described with affection and feeling.
This latest book deals with Hallucinations which can be both realistic and distressing for those who experience them for whatever reason.
In this book Oliver Sacks looks at 15 different types of hallucination described as always by using a real patient or patients and going beyond signs and symptoms to the person behind them. This is key as the person behind the symptoms has life experiences which often affect the type of hallucination he or she experiences,
This book looks at the causes of hallucinations and finds a variety of reasons; illness, injury, drug use, intoxication or even just falling asleep. The forms taken by hallucinations can be complex or simple; beautiful or terrifying, in this book Oliver Sacks covers them all.
The fifteen chapters include: Charles Bonnet Syndrome, which affects many elderly people and is often under diagnosed; Sensory Deprivation; Hallucinatory Smells; Hearing Things; Altered States; Narcolepsy and On The Threshold of Sleep among others.
Sacks makes the point that the potential for hallucinations is present in us all and describes very well the organisation and structure of the brain.
I loved this book as I have loved all other writings by this author, as always he has drawn on the wealth of clinical examples from his own patients. Likewise he has gone back into history to look at literature which describes hallucinatory experiences and even how they have influenced folklore and art.
I would thoroughly recommend this book for anyone interested in how the brain works, hallucinations or simply because its different from anything else out there.
on 17 December 2012
Bought as a Christmas present for my son. He was really pleased with but no real comment from myself as I haven,t read it.
on 16 April 2015
I have read Oliver Sacks' book for the last 20 years. The research behind each is always interesting even to the layman.
on 6 January 2013
As with awakenings & his other books always readable & though I am in the trade would be a delight to non medics
on 28 December 2016
I purchased the book as a Christmas gift for a relative I assumed it was received well as they had requested it
on 11 December 2013
I always enjoy His books, and this one came at a time when someone I loved was going trhough a morphine time.
on 12 February 2013
I am a huge fan of Dr sacks and this book delivers more of his fascinating insight into how our brains work.
on 12 February 2014
Amazing book, I am a big fan of the author. The book was in perfect conditions and it arrived promptly.