Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 17 September 2017
I bought this book purely because Ms Duffy is currently the Poet Laureate ,so I presumed that she must be fairly good. However I gave up reading the book one third of the way through. I simply couldn't assault my intellect with any more of this dreadful, banal garbage. I don't even think she writes poetry. She writes uninspired ,ugly prose chopped down into the format of poems. I didn't discern any kind of rhyming structure in any of her poetry which is about random subjects and themes which have got little or no connection with the poet. Her attempts at poetry are without warmth,depth,beauty or sensitivity. It is quite remarkable that she is Poet Laureate and that these poems are on English Literature syllabuses throughout the land. Speaks volumes for the state of society in the 21st Century.
on 31 March 2016
Bought this for AS English literature class and am really happy with it, lovely poems. Some might find it a bit full on, what I mean is that the author if I remember correctly is a lesbian and knowing this sheds light on a lot of her work. I find that the more you read these poems the more you get to like them and find different ways and interpretations to view them. Plus some are really funny, well I think so, yet others have a more serious or/and even a sensual?? tone.
on 26 May 2016
Bought as a present - delighted the recipient and introduced me to a great contemporary poet. Well worth the purchase.
on 28 January 2017
bought for students a s levels
on 24 August 2016
excellent poems
on 31 March 2014
Carol Ann Duffy is a brilliantly intellectual and accomplished poet. Some of her dramatic monologues are extraordinary. Absolutely required reading for anyone who likes/wants to write poetry themselves.
on 27 December 2014
Good
on 29 December 2015
The early favourites. clear edition and good delivery
on 18 August 2017
Disappointed , not in good condition
on 16 February 2014
This lady is a favorite author of mine. When I saw this book I had to have it! Lovely as a full read or for dipping into.