Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 30 December 2014
2 copies purchased for Christmas gifts.
Excellent quality. Thought provoking.
100 years anniversary Christmas 2014.
on 1 January 2012
This book is a gem. It is beautifully illustrated; no other book illustrations have ever had as much impact on me as these. At first glance one wonders wether a cartoon format is appropriate for the subject matter but just as instantly, doubt is completely forgotten as the aptness of the pictures becomes clear. It's the barbed wire that gets me: its benign beauty on the page seems to emphasise its viciousness. And then there's the poetry. Clear, sparse and gob-smackingly poignant. It hides its craft very well: you think 'with a bit of effort I could have come up with that' No you couldn't. It's the work of a consumate poet. Each page contains a little packet of condensed meaning whose economy of language is both beautiful and and inspiring. A very fine work that I unhesitatingly recommend.
Clive Cotton
on 19 November 2011
This wonderful story is simply and beautifully told. It is a beautiful little book and I have added it to my collection of Christmas books to treasure for ever. I shall also be buying one for each of my three grown up children to read to their children.
on 1 December 2011
I was surprised by the size of this book, having ordered on line. It's small but beautiful with lovely ilustrations. It would make a great gift for someone interested in poetry, Carol ANn DUffy or the event featured of the war time truce on Christmas Eve.
on 12 February 2012
The Christmas Truce combines the most brilliant poetry with a subtle anti war theme. The pathos, anger and straightforward way in which this episode in the most horrific war is highlighted to show the abomination of leading men into futile battles. A book that should be read whenever our politicians propose that we should fight rather than talk.
on 22 December 2011
A delightful little book, beautifully illustrated, which my 14 year old Grandson was happy to receive in support of his school topic of The First World War.
on 10 February 2012
I bought three of these as presents that were favourabley received. Very appealing visually too. I would like one as a present myself!
on 27 February 2012
I saw an article on this Book in the newspaper and really loved the pictures. They were very moving. The Book is quite small and was inexpensive so I sent off for it. I was not disappointed as the drawings were even better and painted the atmosphere of the "Special Day". I am not really a poetry person but I found the "Lines" very moving.
on 30 December 2011
A subject that has been written about many times but this book created by the Poet Laurete gives a simple and effective voice to the young men and the peace their actions symbolise.
on 6 August 2015
This book was given to me as a gift as I have a keen interest in WW1 literature. It is an absolutely beautiful keepsake - the illustrations are stunning and the poetry is poignant. Duffy tells the story of the first Christmas in the trenches when German and British soldiers left their weapons to play football together on no-man's land.

I would highly recommend this book as a wonderful Christmas present and keepsake for adults and children alike. It is proudly displayed on my bookshelf and I will always treasure it.