Format: Paperback|Change

on 21 March 2014
I found this book whilst browsing and thought I would give it a chance. I am so glad I did as it was a great read, with intriguing twists and turns throughout the whole Watersong Series. Treat yourself to a new perspective and escape reality.
on 16 April 2013
This is one of the most exhilarating books I have ever read. I really enjoyed the sense of mystery all the way through and I will definitely be buying the next book in the series. I would recommend this book to anybody aged 11 or older as it is amazing, but also quite creepy at times.
on 31 May 2014
I think this book is one of the best I ever read!!! It was very emotional but it pulled me closer to it. I recommend this book to 11+ as it isn't really suitable for children. Other than that, excellent read, and a well done to Amanda Hocking :) :)
on 4 January 2013
There are very few mermaid/ under the sea kind of creature books in the young adult genre which is why I wanted to read this one so much. The premise sounded very different from the other few mermaid books I have read so I was immediately interested.

Wake tells the story of sisters Harper and Gemma although technically, I guess Gemma should be called the protagonist. Harper generally keeps to herself and is the complete opposite of her beautiful, swimmer sister Gemma. Their mother doesn't live with them anymore and Harper has taken it upon herself to play that very role, being very overprotective of Gemma and what she gets up to. I really liked that the two sisters were very different and they had varying interests. It gave each character their own distinct voice and made their personalities clear.

While the beginning of the story is a little drawn out, it sets the scene well. Gemma loves her late night swims and is determined to keep them up even though there has been a few people gone missing recently. While out at the bay swimming, Gemma notices a group of insanely pretty girls, girls who are new in town but have definitely been noticed. Both Gemma and Harper think something is off with these girls but can't quite put their fingers on it. A large chunk of the beginning of the story is spent getting to know the girls and where they live and I think the main plot could have been gotten to quicker.

There are slight romantic themes throughout Wake although they do not overpower the main plot. Love interests Alex (for Gemma) and Daniel (for Harper) were both great characters and again, very different. Daniel is the smouldering older guy who randomly lives on a boat while Alex is the boy next door and also Harper's friend. I have to say, as nice as geeky Alex was, I much preferred Daniel. He seemed like a slight bad boy with a past and someone who could be a whole lot of hot trouble in the future. Alex was just too nice and predictable for me.

So, the main plot. Wake isn't actually about mermaid but Sirens. This was something that I absolutely loved and was very thankful for something different. There is actually quite a lot of background information about the Sirens and where they came from/ why they came to begin with. The mythology behind this new and exciting creature was fantastic and I loved learning more about them. However, I did hate to see Gemma tricked into something she wouldn't have wanted but the end outcome and cliff-hanger was amazing and so exciting.

While I do think Wake could have been better, it was still a really good read and now I'm looking forward to reading the sequel, Lullaby.
on 28 December 2012
Gemma is a very beautiful girl & loves the sea. It gives her freedom, and she feels safe there. Gemma then starts falling in love with the boy next door, Alex, who was always the best friend, but this summer, they have decided to take their relationship to the next level. Harper, her sister, has a caring bone inside her, and has looked after Gemma ever since their Mum had a terrible accident. Three strange girls have arrived in town. They are fearless, gorgeous and enticing, and although they have captured everyone's attention, it's Gemma they are interested in, and they want her to be part of their group. One night, Gemma decides to take a swim, when she finds the three girls having a party on the cove. They invite her, and draw her in into drinking a mysterious concoction. The next morning, Gemma wakes up feeling different, and immediately knows something is wrong. Gemma is faster, stronger and beautiful than before. As she tries to uncover the truth, she ends up being torn between leaving her family, or going off with the strange girls, and entering a world with so many different possibilities.

This is the first book I have ever read from the author Amanda Hocking. It is the first book in the 'Watersong' series. I have heard a load of good things about this new series from her, and I decided to take the plunge, and I'm glad I did.
All the characters are like-able in this. The story mainly revolves around the two sisters Gemma and Harper, and the things that their life encounters. I feel sorry for both of them because their Mum had a terrible accident, and is now in a home where they occasionally visit her, normally on a Saturday. The Mum has to be constantly reminded who they are and why they're there upon every visit. You then have the three mysterious girls: Penn, Lexi and Thea. They seem to have a certain danger about them, and when they enter a room all eyes are on them. The Dad only plays a minor part in this story, as he is normally working a lot, and he tends to be very forgetful with his lunch for work, which Harper normally makes for him and brings to him. Finally, you have the two guy interests of the sisters. Alex is the typical friend who suddenly becomes hot, and he begins his relationship with Gemma. Daniel lives on a boat by the dock, which was left to him. There are definite romantic sparks between Harper and Daniel, but because Harper is going to study in a couple of months, she is holding back.
There is a nice size to this book. The chapters aren't too short, nor too long. Not a lot happens in this novel, and it probably seems that way as it is being spread across a series.
I wouldn't say there was anything I disliked about the story, as I do enjoy books about mermaids and sirens, etc. I can't wait to read the next book from this series.
I really like the cover design to this. Not only is it blue, which is my favourite colour, but it holds a certain mystery behind it.
Overall, I give this book five stars because I liked the storyline, would recommend, and would most definitely read again, if given the time.
Add this book to your "to read" list, because I give it two thumbs up.

Happy reading =)
on 13 December 2012
MY REVIEW
My daughter and I received this paperback copy of Wake by Amanda Hocking from St Martins Press in exchange for our honest reviews. This is Bk#1 in The Watersong Trilogy. The cover would definitely have drawn me to this book, if it were on a shelf in a book store. As the cover suggests the book has a water theme. The main characters in the book are sisters, Harper and Gemma. They live with their father, Brian. Their mother Nathalie is in a special home as her and eldest daughter Harper were in a car accident. The accident left Nathalie in a coma, which when she finally came around from the coma she was left with the drastic consequences. Nathalie is unable to cope with life any more, both emotionally and with some physical tasks too. So, since the accident it has just been the two girls and their father living at home. The girls visit their mother every weekend, even though at times she may act as if she doesn't totally know what is happening. Harper, the eldest of the two girls has taken the role of "mother" on to Gemma, the youngest. The fact that Harper tries to tell Gemma what to do causes friction between the girls, especially when Gemma insists on going down to the bay to swim at night. Gemma is an excellent swimmer and is in training with the hopes of one day competing in the Olympics.....
Everything is going along routinely when three girls come to town. The three girls are beautiful, yet mysterious, with a dark dangerous air around them. Who are they? Where are they staying? And why does everyone seem transfixed on just them when they are around?
The three girls begin to take an interest in Gemma, remarking on her swimming prowess.
One night Gemma ends up on the beach with the three girls, who offer her a drink, a drink that tastes weird, a drink that changes everything...
This book is so well written, it flows beautifully and hooks you and literally reels you into it right up until the very end of the book. It is the first book I have read by Amanda Hocking, though I have more books by her on my kindle to read. I also admit that as soon as I finished this book I immediately picked up the next book, Lullaby and began reading it!
So did I enjoy the book?Yes. Would I recommend the book? Yes. Would you read more in this series? Er...already started Bk#2! Will I read more books by Amanda Hocking? Yes!
The town of Capri is always filled with tourists during the warmer months. So when Penn, Lexi, and Thea show up, no one notices anything odd for awhile. The only thing different in the area lately is the fact that some people have gone missing. But soon everyone is talking about Penn, Lexi, and Thea. They are super gorgeous. They are the kind you want to hate, but you actually envy. They have captured the attention of everybody in Capri, but is Gemma the three girls seem to want.

Sixteen-year-old Gemma Fisher is pretty, carefree, and enjoys nothing more than swimming. Even though school is out, she still has swim practice. Gemma is in training. She has dreams of being in the Olympics someday. But swim practice is work, not fun. Fun, for Gemma, is her nightly swim in the bay. It is just Gemma and the water and the stars. Oh, there is also the boy next door, Alex. He has always been just a friend and he plans to go to college in a couple of months, but this summer they are taking their relationship to the next level.

Then one night while swimming in the bay, Gemma is spotted by Penn, Lexi, and Thea. They have been trying to get Gemma to join their group, but something just seems off about them. This night Gemma is unable to say no or walk away. It is as if the three girls cast a spell on her. The next morning Gemma wakes up on the beach feeling groggy and sick, knowing that something is different.

Gemma is stronger, faster, heals crazy fast, and is more beautiful than ever. Penn, Lexi, and Thea have somehow altered Gemma - all the way down to her cellular level. Whatever they did cannot be reversed either. As Gemma finds out more about her new, unwanted powers, she learns that she has only two options. Gemma can stay with those she loves and die in the near future or she can accept what she has become, join the three girls, and enter their dark world.

**** FOUR STARS! This is the first in the four-book Watersong series. It's about a young girl who is transformed, against her will, into (what was thought to be) a mythical creature. Though major threads are left dangling, this first installment ends in a good spot. The backgrounds of the main and secondary characters are well developed. However, the backgrounds of Penn, Lexi, and Thea are not revealed and fully explained until about the middle of the story. It is obvious that the author adores mythology and has done considerable research on the material. Her writing style is appealing, easy to follow, and flows smoother than a calm sea. This series is destined to win awards. I foresee a bright future for Amanda Hocking and many new fans. ****

Reviewed by Detra Fitch of Huntress Reviews.
on 8 April 2013
Such a fascinating story... I couldn't put it down!

Amanda Hocking has introduced us into a world of fantasy and mystery and keeps the reader engaged throughout the book by the use of descriptive events and energetic characters. One thing I liked about the novel is how Hocking has written the book in a way to introduce both Gemma and Harper's side to the story, which makes the plot more descriptive and realistic.

Harper is the older sister who looks after Gemma and likes to take responsibility for her that we read about through her protectiveness over her. Gemma is the younger sister who is fit through her swimming and at the start of the book Hocking has given a good description of her love for the water. As the story grows so do the characters. We follow Gemma and Harper learning about them as people, their lives, and futures.

The plot is definitely one to read that can keep you guessing and engaged. I really enjoyed reading this novel and the characters bring excitement, humour and interest to the story to bring it together. A definite must read and have the sequel at the ready!
on 13 August 2013
Amanda Hocking is one of the leading YA writers in the industry and with her latest series it's easy to see why she has legions of fans and been picked up by a publisher.

The prologue is fantastic and really captures the reader's imagination, ensuring they won't put it down. Although the book features a set of good, wholesome main characters, the overall feel to the story is dark, which makes for an excellent contrast. The romance is subtle and innocent but completely meaningful, making it a perfect fit for this mystical YA story.

The whole thing flows beautifully, which is classic Hocking style, but ends on a cliff-hanger that is sure to have you frantically buying the next instalment in the Watersong Series.

Reviewed by Charlotte Foreman on behalf of BestChickLit.com.
on 31 January 2015
Readable, with a really good concept but sadly disappointing. It seems rushed and I felt as though it had so much potential wish is a shame as I am a fan of the trylle series by amanda hocking. But this didn't even feel like it had been wrote by the same person:(