on 15 September 2016
I've lost count of how many times I've read this classic and groundbreaking book that is so good on so many levels, as storytelling, as popular science, as philosophy, and as beautiful, sensitive, humane writing. This is probably the book I've given away as a gift more than any other. However I've now treated myself to the Kindle edition, because it's lovely to have it accessible to dip in to at odd moments whenever I want to revisit it, and it also allows me to preserve my ancient treasured paperback whose pages are yellowed and crispy now.

Highly recommended - but be warned, once you've read this, you'll want to read the rest of his books too.

(PS to the publisher - you need to check the references in the ebook edition - the links mostly refer to "Chapter 9" instead of the intended chapters. Please fix!)
on 2 February 2016
Book quality is amazing and good value for money. Content-wise: Oliver Sacks described his cases very clearly and in an interesting fashion though I felt that he got too technical at times. It is nevertheless a great book that demystifies the world of neuroscience ( or at least, part of it that is interesting and palatable to most people). I would recommend this to medical students and anyone who is interested in neuroscience. But, I am not sure if this is a generally easy book to read for those who are foreign to neurology and science. This book delved into the details quite nicely and although it is very interesting, it may be a heavy one to read.
on 20 July 2017
I'm a layman and I get confused by all the different sorts of professionals who work with the mind. Sacks writes from the perspective of a neurologist and in this book he includes some of the strangest "deficits" there are. He also writes about "excesses", which include Tourette's syndrome. One patient's marriage was threatened because of his involuntary cries during sex (f***, s**t etc).But Tourette's syndrome is much more than taboo words.
on 10 May 2017
I found this an interesting read - but without any medical training I found some of it a bit heavy going as I was not familiar with the technical language. But it does open up a world that I had not explored before that demonstrates what a compassionate and intelligent clinician can achieve and explain.
on 26 June 2017
A mixture of real case studies and medical explanations. Better enjoyed if you read it leaving breaks between chapters, the contents are so dense, hard to appreciate reading it quickly...
on 2 February 2013
Brand new, quick delivery, amazing book.
One of the most fascinating read ever - neurology is still an unknown field for us, and Oliver Sacks is a very good writer.
A must-have for all psychologists, psychiatrists ,and everyone who is interested in the way the human brain works. Or rather in what happens when it doesn't.
on 30 April 2017
Found this very useful while studying psychology
on 28 March 2017
Pleased with purchase.
on 22 June 2017
The "romantic neurology" portions of this book captures the Everyday reader, while the experiential, step-by-step and thoughtfulness he had as a clinician brought insight into neurological disorders.
on 12 August 2016
A nice read. I enjoyed it.