on 18 August 2012
OK, I don't know if this was the first "chick lit", but although I'm now almost twice as old as I was when I first read it, it's still one of the best books about in this genre.

Fielding manages to satirise and amuse whilst still giving us a main character who is warm, funny, engaging, and amusingly inept without being tiresome. No cringy Bella Swann "I'm so clumsy, isn't it charming?" guff going on here! Bridget is someone we all either know or have been at some point; we can cringe with her parental embarrassment, sympathise with her hangovers, and hope with her for a relationship and not being eaten by an Alsatian.

Still one of the funniest, most enjoyable, and (deservedly) best known chick-lit heroines, Bridget is a welcome addition to my Kindle.
on 11 June 2014
I love these books - so funny in this fab collection! Singleton Bridget, living her life the only way she can - with joy in her heart and footsteps. Worth the price for this! I've retread it often and laughed my head off.
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 16 December 2015
A short 6 audio discs, this was a 'comfort' read, one I've read before, seen the film of many times, and just fancied something a little seasonal between some heavier reads.

I enjoyed this hugely, just as much as on previous reads, and reading it as an audiobook worked very well. The narrator is a wonderful Bridget and the diary format translates well to audio

Bridget's diary over the course of a year as the thirty-something charts her search for true love is roughly based on my favourite book (the only other book I re-read each year) - Pride and Prejudice. I loved listening out for the similarities in plot and character. I'd forgotten that the stuck-up reindeer-jumper wearing Mr Darcy she meets over Christmas then disappears for a significant proportion of the book while other romantic entanglements and Singleton life (and calorie counting) take over.

While I absolutely HATE the smoking, drinking and food obsessions, I can ignore those for the vulnerable naivety of the adorably optimism of Ms Jones.

I know the film so well that it's almost a surprise when key scenes change or don't appear at all in the source novel, but I really enjoyed a trip back to Bridget's parents wobbly marriage, her 'urban family' of friends (better developed in the film I thought) and the toxic but hot relationship involving Daniel 'the slime' Cleaver.

The subplot involving her mum's boyfriend and how this turns out, I found I'd completely forgotten, so the ending took me by surprise, and though it ends well, I found I missed the film's final scenes.

That's what comes of being more familiar with the filmed versions of books than their source material though, but as this is itself a re-interpretation of an Austen novel, it's fair to say that changes are going to happen and decisions are made for a reason.

Loved my re-read. Will definitely want to listen to this again, and am currently trying to find books 2 and 3 on CD as well.
on 9 December 2012
I adore this classic book. Rumours are abound that there is a third book in the making, I love this notion and I really hope it's true. This book will always stand the test of time, and be relevant to women everywhere.
on 10 April 2013
As I really enjoyed the film and found it rather hilarious, I decided to also read the book but was extremely disappointed. I lost sympathy with the character - due to repetitive stupidity of Bridget!! I became quite bored in the end.
on 23 July 2012
Well I had to grab this at the bargain price of 99p. Read this some years back (as a tree book) and fell about laughing through most of it. Personally did not rate the film as highly as the book as with the book you get to know the characters so well. Looking forward to re-reading it!
on 24 July 2013
What can I say love it, love it, love it! I must have watched it 10 times plus never tire of it. I love all the character's and the story.
on 29 December 2012
I've seen the film a million times but reading the book was my better idea! It's brilliant! On to the sequel!
on 21 August 2012
First off thank you Picador for offering a fantastic Bargain!

I remember buying the paperback when it was a movie tie-in. So for me, I will always have Renee, Hugh and Colin in my head when reading the tales of a singleton trying to keep her resolutions, trying to not fall for her attractive boss and also finding love with a rival of her boss! Its a very funny book, and is of the rare book to movie stories that compliments each other well.

Normally I probably wouldn't have bought this, but at 99p, how could I not?? Fantastic bargain of a fantastic book about a girl who became a literary icon!
on 16 April 2013
I first read this in my teens and loved it. It's an easy but funny read and I easily get engrossed. I now return to this book when I need a pick me up because generally Bridget's in a far worse situation! The narrative style is unique and helps give a real sense of who Bridget is and what she's about. I''ve dropped a star because some of the references seem more relevant to a decade or so ago.