on 15 October 2013
bought this for 2 year old nephew for Christmas - have read it and found it fantastic - he will love making the dinosaur noises and the illustrations are great. May have to buy another copy to read to my primary cover classes. Would recommend this for any wee boy (or girl) who's into dinosaurs.
on 18 April 2015
This book arrived today but despite being rated very good condition is in dreadful condition. The textured areas are so worn they are disintegrating all over my daughters hands, the cover is also worn and torn. I'm hugely disappointed.
on 30 August 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
and goes on a little journey to say hello to some other dinosaur types in this super book from Ian Whybrow.

Appealing paperback covers open to 18 high quality pages, in the popular 2-page spread format.
Superb illustrations throughout, from Tim Warnes, as always.

From the back cover:-

'Are you ready with your roars?
Let's say hello to the dinosaurs!...
.....Swish! Kaaark! Roar!'

And it certainly was very NOISY, at the local tots' meeting this dreary Bank Holiday weekend, when I introduced this NEW book!
It was a HUGE hit!

The majority of the text is laid out in rhyming couplet style which further adds to the atmosphere of the 'read-out-loud' scenario.
However, it proves a REAL test for the narrator - I had to practice the names of the dinosaurs a number of times before I could read them out with any real confidence!
But as I tripped over my Ichthyosaur, and my Pterodactyl...... the youngest of children seemed to have little trouble with the names rolling off their tongues, chuckling as they helped an adult in distress!

The quieter guests were intrigued by the rough texturing effect this book also offers.

Example of text:-

'What a long way from your tail to your nose!
You're Diplodocus, I suppose!
Hello Diplodocus!
Chomp, chomp, chomp!......'

This interesting book ends with a double page spread of all the animals featured in a simple memory game, giving young listeners/readers the chance to answer, based on the information contained within, e.g.:-

'Now we'll play a little game.
I'll ask a question and you say the name!

Who's the longest dinosaur in this book?
Which dinosaur has a fan on his back?.....'

A slight criticism is that the main text is relatively pale, compared to the others in the series, but this only detracts slightly and doesn't warrant a whole star deduction, in my opinion - so four and a half stars overall!
In any case, the NOISE words are suitably enhanced, by comparison!

The back inside cover shows the other titles available in this educational series:-

Say Hello to the Snowy Animals
Say Hello to the Animals
Say Hello to the Baby Animals
Say Goodnight to the Sleepy Animals
review image review image
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I love dinosaurs, ever have since I was a little kid. Any books, magazines, tv shows, films, comics, cartoons, whatever I could find about dinosaurs I was all over it. So, I was a little excited to see how my 21 month old boy would react to his new book, and the results were slightly disappointing.
First off the artwork is great and I like the idea of adding a thin layer of scaly substance to each dinosaur, my little one seemed to enjoy the new sensation of feeling each picture as we turned the pages.
The only problem for me is the lack of a story, something to engage the young observer. I read lots of books to my son and it's the ones with a story that grab his attention the most. Even at his young age he understands how each page leads to the next and looks forward to his favourite parts. With this book it's very much a short list of different animals but with nothing connecting them. Even a daft tale would be better than nothing at all.

Hopefully he'll grow to like it more and I'll introduce other dinosaur books as he gets older. I'll say again I really like the artwork.
VINE VOICEon 1 September 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I once again enlisted the reviewing skills of my 2 and a bit year old nephew for this one. He's going through a Dino-mad phase at the minute so he seemed like the perfect candidate to give me his opinion.

First off what I liked about it - colourful illustrations, a rhyming couplet on each page introducing the name of the dinosaur on the page (proper names mind you, we're talking 'Icthyosaurus' here, not 'Bob the dinosaur'), and a little quiz at the end. There's also the encouragement for audience participation, and the reader(s) are asked to roar at each new dinosaur we meet. Which obviously, is lots of fun!

I wasn't so fussed about the much lauded texturised scaly picture doo-dads, but The Nephew was a little bit entranced by it and seemed to like scratching his fingers across it. I'm not sure how long the stuck on scaly effect stuff is going to last, but I'm hoping it's been kid-proofed! He's pretty advanced for a Two year old (even if this proud Auntie does say so herself), and he can already identify a lot of dinosaurs, so this book was pretty much pitched perfectly for him. There were enough that he recognised, but also some new ones to learn, and it didn't patronise him (see above comments re: Bob the dinosaur). The quiz at the end was popular as a kind of 'guess who?' game and he seemed to thoroughly enjoy the book. So much so that he decided to forgoe us reading his all time fave 'The Naughty Bus' and had us read this one again!

One word of warning though, due to the levels of interaction with the roaring etc, this is probably more of a daytime book than a bedtime calmer. So don't read it to the little 'un before putting them to bed if you're the one who is going to be babysitting!
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I loved this book so much. The rhyming text was flowing, the colours and pictures were perfect for young ones and the texture added to the dinosaurs were a brilliant idea. I love interactive books.

I tested this book on my 3 year old neighour and he loved the texture of the book. At the end, there is a game to play on remembering what the different dinosours were etc.

A great book for little ones.
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Ian Wybrow's books are always beautifully written and illustrated and this one is no exception.

My son is a fan of his Harry and the Dinosaurs series, and this book makes an excellent companion to that series, as it introduces the child to each of the different dinosaurs featured in it. Or it could be read on its own, to slightly younger children (say around 18 months upwards). A baby T-rex hatches from an egg, and meets various dinosaurs and learns a little bit about them before finding his mother again. At the end of the book there is a quiz for the child to try and name the different dinosaurs that they have been introduced to in the book. The illustrations are wonderful - clear and colourful (they are by Tim Warnes who illustrates the Little Tiger books). Each dinosaur has a textured finish to represent its scaly skin.

The book is good value and would make a lovely gift for a child. My son (who is three) is really into dinosaurs at the moment, and was delighted with it.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The author is Ian Whybrow and illustrator Tim Warnes both bring the book together.

The words rhyme very nicely and The Illustrations are fun and tactile, you can feel the scales of each dinosaur which gives that extra interaction for little ones.

You follow a baby T-Rex who meets a new dinosaur on each page.

I like the book but it has no storey and at the end there is a can you name each dinosaur. I struggled with the pronunciations, my five year old boy had no chance.

I like the book but prefer something like What the Ladybird Heard which has a storey to enjoy.

I good book with lovely illustrations not sure how long it will remain as a choice of book for my little boy.
on 26 August 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Well illustrated - my two year old daughter loves this for her bedtime story. Aside the nice pictures, the paper is textured on the dinosaur scales so that those still too young to understand the words have fun stroking the pictures! The 'story', insofar as books for this age group have one, follows a young T-Rex looking at all different dinosaurs. I expect as my daughter gets older she'll be able to yell the names of the dino's as I point to them in the wrap up quiz on the last page. Without wishing to gender sterotype (and therefore about to do so) it is probably more of a 'boys book' than a girl book - but that is probably exactly why it is Daddy's favourite to read!
VINE VOICEon 23 August 2009
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My little boy loved this book in which a baby T Rex meets his different dinosaur friends before returning to his mum. Each page shows a different dinosaur which is coated in a shimmery textured finish. The picture are beautifully drawn, are bright and kept the attention of a normally squirmy one year old. I particularly liked the way that the proper names for each dinosaur were used, which means that the book will have longevity. At the end of the book there is a 'test' where the dinosaurs are pictured and you're asked to name the dinosaur.

I'm really pleased with the book and would recommend it to others.