on 7 March 2015
I couldn't wait for this book to arrive and I love the quilts. 2 things let it down which is a real shame. Firstly the Typeface - very difficult to read and see even in the day light ( I don't need glasses to read or sew) because it is a very light, thin font - it needed to be bolder. Even the bold headline paragraphs are not easy to read because of the silly font - not quite italic but similar. This is a book where the text needs to be easy to read as it contains a lot of instructions. Secondly, some of the instructions themselves are incorrect. For example, each quilt has a Key to the blocks that make it up. On page 76, The Garden Wall quilt, the image that should be Strip Piecing is actually Crazy Triangles, and on page 112, The Building Blocks quilt - 3 out of the 4 block images in the key are incorrect. Block 2 should be Half Square Triangles but in fact shows an image of Chain Pieced Strips, block 3 should be Log Cabin but shows a String Block ( this maybe understandable as the strips are placed on point to make a square so someone who has never done patchwork could get this mixed up) block 4 should be Quarter Circles but shows Pieced Squares. I do hope that these issues are sorted out in the next print as it is very confusing for a beginner to patchwork and frustrating to the reader. I think Lucie Summers has done a great job and its a real shame that her first book has gone to print with these issues.
on 24 August 2016
I like the ideas in this book and the undoubtedly fresh approach. BUT, and apologies if I have read this erroneously, but in the Plates piecing map, it seems to suggest cutting a quarter circle out before cutting a quarter circle " the same size" to replace it. Now I am no expert but what about two seam allowances?
on 29 May 2014
I've been thinking of making a patchwork quilt for some time, but I was unsure where to begin. I'd looked at other books, and even bought some quilt patterns, but I wasn't really inspired until I read this book. I loved the relaxed approach Lucie has to the subject. She believes that making quilts should be fun; that they should be sewn well; and that they should be personalised with the makers own individuality. This really appeals to me, and I can't wait to get started.
on 21 November 2016
It's a fabulous bright book and the paper even feels lush. Some straight forward instructions in clear language, make this an excellent book for quilter's of all stages.
on 15 December 2013
What a challenge this book is. I'm excited to start one in the new year.you can do individual different blocks or use one block for your quilt.
on 2 March 2015
excellent book arrived quickly
on 8 October 2015
Very clear and concise
on 26 January 2015
Great
on 13 November 2014
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 11 November 2013
very helpful and useful book would defo recommend anybody to buy it, there are lots of different exanmples of atchwork and very clear insturctions on how to do it ad what you might nedd