Customer reviews

Format: Spiral-bound|Change

on 17 July 2016
This book is awesome. Such good value
This book is the follow up from popular project book 101 Ways to Sew a Metre. The projects are split into chapters based upon fabric type including lightweight cottons, quilting weight cottons, home decor fabrics, flannel, woven pile fabrics, coated fabrics, fleece, knits and wool.

The book starts with a guide to fabric fundamentals, what needles and machine feet to use with the different fabrics, how to wash them, any special equipment you need to work with them etc. Each chapter gives you an introduction to the fabric type and how to best work with it before going into the projects.

The projects are each spread over several pages with detailed instructions, including cutting instructions, colourful diagrams and a photo of the finished design. They include garments (for adults and children), bags, cushions and household storage solutions. This book is very good value for money, over 400 pages, 101 projects plus 9 full size pattern sheets all for under £20. A great book for helping you use up the various fabrics in your stash.

This review originally appeared on The Sewing Directory.
on 8 February 2012
Love the Book - it is well put together and inspiring. When turning most pages I have thought 'I would like that' - in some cases I'm inspired by the fabrics to make something I wouldn't actually need!

I haven't made anything yet - but the instructions seem to fairly easy to follow.

The one draw back I have found so far is that despite the title of the book - 'Sew a Metre'; all the projects are measured in inches. Personaly, I selected the book deliberately becaure it was metric, and didn't select the 'Sew A Yard' + I liked the look of the projects on the cover. I now hope that the 'Sew a Yard' book has different projects - and I could look to get this in the future as I'll be practised in 'old school' measuring!!
22 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 September 2012
I absolutely adore this book! I already had this one 101 Great Ways to Sew a Metre: Look How Much You Can Make with Just One Metre of Fabric! and it was a complete essential for home sewers.
The new "101 Fabric-by-Fabric Ways to Sew a Metre" brings 1/3 more projects with very helpfull guidelines to be taken in consideration when you are plannig a project, specially regarding different types and characteristics of fabrics. I was surprised with the amount of projects it has and how big this book is!
A little detail was improved in this edition: the envelope to keep patterns is better now and more resistant then the book before. These new projects complement it very well and it works perfectly as a guide for your own projects! As usual, every project is wonderfully explained for everyone and with equipment and material that any person can find.
I have only one suggestion to layout designers for next editions: each project should have it's photograph first and the explanation after it. A little and helpful detail when you are searching for a project (Of course it has an index, but everybody prefers to browse through the beatifull pictures rather than go to the index ;))
When you get this book on your hands, you will see how fabulous it is!
on 16 March 2012
Like the first book, this has so many things I want to make - right now!! Many cute things to make for home, yourself, and your family, including many more things to make for little boys - so thrilled as the first book was a bit girl-centric. seems to have very clear instructions and fabric notes. It is laid out fabric-by-fabric, as I should have guessed from the title, so there is a section for light weight cotton, coated fabrics, etc. I would rate my sewing skill as good, and there are many things to make that will challenge me, as well as simple things to make for sewers with not as much experience. I can't wait to get started.
on 6 August 2013
I've only just ventured into the world of sewing and I loved the idea that this book was based around a metre of fabric. Book arrived yesterday and I'm already planning several projects. It has loads of patterns included which in their own would costs lots in a shop and the instructions are, I think, pretty clear. There is a real mixture of clothes, gifts and children's ideas. I would recommend this and I may be back to get the original book soon! Really good value for money I think.
on 7 April 2014
This is great for left-overs fabric and being a spiral-type of book that you can easily fold over to what page you working from so no more of trying to mark pages, damaging sewing books in the process. However having grown-up children now I found there are too many patterns for my liking for babies and small children that previous reviews didn't mention so had I known I would had looked for a similar book for more 'grown-up' projects to do.
on 21 November 2012
I got this book as 101 Fabric-by-Fabric Ways to Sew a Meter, since I prefer to work in metric, however, this is is 101 Fabric-by-Fabric One-Yard Wonders with a different cover and title. This isn't a huge deal, but something to be aware of.
I've only made one thing from this book so far, and I wasn't impressed with the design. I made the play pants, and the recommended material is corduroy, because of the way the pattern is designed, you end up sewing through 9 layers of fabric when you do the waistband. This might not be an issue with thinner fabric, but is a problem with corduroy. If I had substituted the fabric, I'd put it down to my modifying things and it not going so well, however, when one uses the recommended fabric, the pattern really should work well for that fabric. I'll make the pants again as they're a good design, but I'll be doing french seams as well as modifying the waistband so I'm not sewing through so many layers.
I intend to do more projects from this book, but I'll be reading the instructions and looking at the pattern with a very critical eye to prevent future frustrations.
on 5 August 2013
Amazing value book containing full sized patterns for a variety of sewing projects, it has enabled me to use up the pile of fabric offcuts I have accumulated over the years. The ideas are fun and easy to carry out with something for everyone.
on 19 September 2012
I just got this in the post. I have flipped through and have at least 6 things I want to start on right away! Everything looks easy to make for a semi-beginner, and really useful. Not just boxes and bags like some other books I've seen.