on 1 August 2014
Brought this for my wife as she wanted to learn how to do this, she is thrilled with the book,says it gives her clear,easy to follow instructions and the pictures and drawings will help with any uncertain areas where she feels a little lost, it is a beautiful book in its own right just to read through, and the projects are prefect for beginners to build confidence thay are also practical items,she is now itching to get started.
on 9 June 2017
I bought the authors book Free and Easy Stitch Style at the same time as buying this, so was hoping they would be as good as they looked on here. And I wasn't disapointed! I love the authors style and how modern all her ideas are. Brilliant!
on 3 April 2017
Looking forward to giving this ago great book.5star seller
on 26 December 2012
Delightful book - so easy to follow. Thank you I'm delighted with my purchase of Freehand Machine Embroidery. by Poppy Treffry.
on 20 July 2017
Great book with easy to follow instructions.
on 24 September 2012
This book is a really great introduction to freehand machine embroidery. I've always wanted to try it but didn't quite know where to start, the introductory section of this book breaks it all down into very simple steps. From choosing the fabrics and threads, how to set your machine up ready and how to start experimenting - the whole section is like having a lesson in the classroom.

The rest of the book comprises of projects split into 4 categories: Getting Crafty, New Arrivals, Party time and Happy Holidays. The projects include a sewing kit, a knitting bag, nursery wall art, a backpack and a wash bag amongst others. The projects are supported by beautiful hand drawn colourful diagrams as well as photos. The instructions are split over several pages so everything is broken down into easy to follow steps. There are templates in the back of the book, some require enlarging by 200% and others are already full size. The ones that require enlarging are fairly simple shapes so you could probably do it by hand so don't let that put you off.

I love this book, reading through has given me to confidence to try free motion embroidery and the projects are all useful things that you will want to make. I also love the colourful, fun, quirky style used throughout.

This review can also be found on The Sewing Directory.
on 26 April 2013
[...]

As I get more confident using my sewing machine, I've been tempted to give machine embroidery a go. I first saw it on an early series of Kirstie's Homemade Homes, where Kirstie Allsopp declared it was like craft crack cocaine! That's an endorsement! Aside from that, it looked fun and easy, no rules and not much to learn other than to let the machine do the work. Poppy Treffry's book is a great guide to getting started. With very clear instructions and some lovely beginners projects it's the perfect way to kick-start a love affair with machine embroidery.

The first thing I realised upon reading the intro to the book was a mistake I'd been making for years, particularly when working with particularly silky or stretchy fabrics. Pesky feed dogs. For those, like me, who have no idea what feed dogs are, they are the little lines of teeth under the needle and foot which grip onto fabric. Dropping the feed dogs or simply covering them over with masking tape is the first step to successful machine embroidery.

The book is very mindful of not rushing you in to creating a master piece to early on. In fact, Poppy encourages you to `have a play' and get a feel for your machine by making squiggles, lines and simple shapes like hearts and triangles. Top tips include using two different threads for your top thread and bottom bobbin when shading. What a great idea. I'd never thought of this. Poppy uses black and grey together to shade in darker areas and also mixes brighter colours like red and orange to create depth and add texture to her designs. Applique is tackled in the book too, again with very clever but simple tips like multiple outlines around your applique shapes for stand-out.
on 2 November 2014
I went to a "drawing in stitches" class also known as doing free hand machine embroidery. I had so much fun and really caught the big that I wanted to learn more. During the class, they recommended this book, so as soon as I got home I bought. It's so lovely with so many ideas, tips and projects. I would recommend this book to anyone interested in trying this kind of sewing craft.
on 18 June 2013
I love Poppy Treffry's work and I was delighted to receive this as a present. It's well presented, easy to read instructions and lots of useful tips. The projects are delightful - I just need to practice and get better. It certainly inspires you and makes you want to give it a go.
on 19 June 2013
They lay out of this book is great. Projects are lovely and as I am newish/returning to sewing I was delighted that I could actually do them.