on 9 March 2013
I found this book hard work, with not enough practice questions. I then read lots of positive reviews on another book called 'pass the QTS skills test with ease' which I bought and have been sailing through this week! It's much easier to follow with 5 practice on screen test papers and 2 practice on screen. The book is aimed at those who are not confident with maths and perhaps got a grade c, I now feel more confident about passing.
on 11 April 2013
Unfortunately the book I received was missing pages 53-62 therefore I was missing a lot of the practice mental arithmetic tests as well as a lot of the answers from the practice questions.

If the book hadn't been missing the pages it would have received a better rating as the content is very useful. Just a shame I couldn't check to see if what I was doing was right!
on 29 July 2015
Good book, but i found another book 'Adult learners guide to Numeracy' by Geoff Mainwaring really help me learn all the topics covered in the numeracy skills test for Teachers. Also various numeracy QTS videos on youtube make the questions much easier to grasp. So check all this out! Good luck. Although this books covered what to learn i didn't use it as much as the other book and youtube videos.
on 19 July 2015
This was a really helpful guide. It was a good starting point prior to doing as many online practise tests that could find! I would definitely recommend this book.
on 19 August 2015
I had high hopes for this book, but you don't get much help if your terrible at maths. Stay clear and get alternative book or try maths tests online.
on 23 January 2014
This book was a waste of time. I didn't realise until I came to use it properly that a whole chunk of pages were missing including answers to mock tests - which is the whole point really! I ended up having to buy the Kindle version too just so I could check answers. Complete waste of money. It also provided very little explanation of techniques to use especially for the mental arithmetic section. In the end I spotted a link on the DFE website to Numeracy Ready [...] and I couldn't have done without it. It costs £19.99 and you get really easy to understand screen cast explanations of everything you need to know plus 20 practice tests. I would recommend anyone to skip pay the little bit extra for that and not bother with any books - I have just passed first time despite having less than 2 weeks to prepare and not having done this kind of Maths for 22 years!
on 12 February 2016
This book really gave me the confidence to sit the test for the third time...and I passed!

Outlined well and easy to follow.
on 20 October 2012
As you may gather from most of the other reviews, this is a nice compact book to help you through the test.

However, a couple of areas have disappointed me with this book.

Firstly, it gives printed text questions as practice for the initial 'mental maths' part of the test, which on only hears as audio during the real test. The book rather unhelpfully says "Get a friend to read the questions out to you"....! And if you don't have a willing 'friend' on hand with time to spare..? I'm disappointed the publishers have not provided audio on their website to help us practise. In the end I recorded the questions myself with my Dictaphone, and then played them back later.

Secondly, and more importantly, this book contains many mistakes. Not in the spelling or grammar, but in the *maths answers*. This is really sloppy. Was the book proof-read? Sometimes I have answered the questions and checked the answers in the back of the book... to find that my answer is 'wrong'. So I have gone back, attempted the question again (and again) in different ways, and still failed to get the 'answer' in the back of the book. In the end my common sense prevailed and I realised the book's answer is wrong.

Also in describing the format of the real test, the book states that in the initial mental maths section one has "8 seconds" to input the answer after you've heard the question twice. I assumed this must be new since last year's test (after all this is the new 5th edition) when one had 18 seconds. I confidently told my tutor that the time was now greatly reduced.... But no, this is another 'minor' error in the book.

Please see this book's "Discussions" on this website where I am trying to record the errors which I have found in this book. I hope this may help others who are also trying to practise for this test.
33 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 March 2017
I used this book for my test and I passed first time. It gave me all the right information I needed, but it is harder than the test which makes the test easier. 100% recommend using this book. I have just brought the literacy book as well!
on 20 April 2015
Now, before I start, I'd like to say: I struggle with maths BIG TIME. Always have and always will. I'm not exaggerating either, my parents and partner both know how much I struggle! I had in my mind that I'd fail my numeracy and had visions that I would be locked out of the QTS tests for two years.
I started reading through this book properly about 2/3 weeks before my test. I panicked. Fractions, decimals and percentages are not my forte. Nor are graphs I'd never heard of; I'm talking about you Mr Box and Whisker!
This book not only simplifies it, but also shows you the best workings etc. Along with help from YouTube and motivation, I passed first time! I know, miracles CAN happen, right! This book was DEFINITELY worth splashing the cash on in the long-term. I wouldn't have passed without it! Thank you!!