on 12 April 2017
I bought this book to use primarily for the numeracy section as I had already passed my literacy test. This book was very helpful, explaining methods clearly with really useful tips. I passed my maths QTS test today and I think this book helped through lots of practice questions that were similar to the test I had today.
on 5 August 2017
I liked this book more so because it has great sections on how to get into teaching, the application process, the interview, the school experience, what teacher training is actually like, whether teaching is right for you, as well as resources and website links for when you are a teacher.
on 21 August 2017
Found this book extremely useful especially for someone like me who hasn't done any maths or English tests for decades! Gives great examples to practice and new examples to learn. I would definitely recommend anyone buy this if they are thinking of taking the practical skills exams. I'm not convinced I would have passed the exams without it.
on 6 March 2015
I haven't done Maths at Skills Test level since my GCSE's 26 years ago. Using this book as my revision tool I passed the Skills Test first time. Need I say more?!
on 16 June 2017
Worth buying. I think the answers could offer a little more of an explanation to ease understanding. Also, the explanations in each chapter could be a little more detail, with maybe some walkthrough questions. Other than that, it's generally very good. Glad I purchased it.
on 12 March 2017
Great quality! Great book! Very useful
on 22 March 2015
A wonderfully helpful guide, which is invaluable to any person sitting the Professional Skills Tests. I passed both tests first time, but this would not have happened without the book.
on 19 July 2013
I brought this book after struggling to pass the maths online practice tests, I had not done any maths for 6 years! The example questions in this book are extremely similar to the questions in the tests; it contains 40 practice mental arithmetic tests covering all different types of contents such as; time, money, fractions, decimals, percentages, measurements, conversions etc. It also contains 60 questions to practice applying mental arithmetic questions and 20 interpreting data questions. Along with the answer section it gives hints and tips for working out.
Excellent for getting more familiar with the tests and it helped me get a great deal quicker at working out. It also has an introduction section which tells you what to expect and how to prepare.
I went from getting 3/28 on my first online practice test whilst sobbing my eyes out, to passing first time on my real test. A real help for someone who has not done maths in a long time!
22 Comments| 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 January 2015
As an (ahem) mature student, I hadn't had to tackle mental maths before; and my other maths skills were a little rusty, so I was more than a bit nervous of the QTS numeracy test.

I bought this book and read it cover to cover: it was a really good introduction, and refreshed my memory of percentages, fractions, graphs etc.

If it helps others in a similar situation, I then signed up to 'numeracy ready' (a website you can subscribe to, which gives you access to 20 practice tests of a similar type to the QTS tests) and worked through those, before tackling the 'diagnostic' practice tests on the DfE website. The whole thing took me about 4 weeks preparation, doing an hour or so every day.

I took the tests yesterday and passed without any difficulty. If I can do it - so can you - all it takes is practice, practice... and a book like this one to get you started.
on 11 January 2014
I've brought a couple of books along these lines, and is the best one. It gives details on exactly what to expect with these tests, practice questions, websites and nice easy ways of doing to calculations in the math section. It also has a bit at the beginning about the application process into teaching and interviews.