Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 April 2016
This book came highly recommended by tutors and peers, however I found it difficult to follow with a bit too much toilet humour for my taste. I, personally, have found other books on statistics and SPSS to be much more helpful than this one.
on 26 February 2016
I think Andy is a brilliant guy and I love the way he brings statistics to life by using interesting examples (yes, some are quite crude, but also funny which is the intention). I am giving the book 4 stars however as it's very verbose and sometimes you just want him to get to the point :) It's still very useful and thus why I have given it 4 stars.
on 1 November 2013
I bought Andy Field 'Discovering Statistics using SPSS' at the beginning of my Psychology masters (MSc Health Psychology) course. It has definitely been money well spent! As someone who is not completely confident with the quantitative/SPSS based aspects of Psychology this book has been incredibly useful.

Also, given that statistics can be a bit of a dry subject at times - I've found the Andy Field book really engaging and feel that I'm actually understanding and learning, instead of just flicking through and looking for instructions to copy into SPSS! Would definitely recommend to postgraduates as well as undergraduates.
on 20 June 2013
I have followed Andy Field's Discovering Statistics Using SPSS right from the first edition, back in the day. He has a hugely refreshing style and manages to cover very complex statistical concepts in ways that are accessible for the more statistically challenged. In fact Andy Field's books always leave me feeling I'm MUCH cleverer than I thought. His skill, not mine!

I would recommend this book for all behavioural scientists from undergraduate through to post-doc and beyond. Brilliant.
on 14 March 2014
This book is a very good reference source whilst using SPSS. You can read a particular chapter when it is appropriate without feeling like you should have read all preceding chapters. Field does a good job of trying to keep the reader amused, which is a challenge to anyone writing an SPSS companion. He also provides online companion exercises if you need some practice.
on 8 January 2014
As every work by Andy Field, this is a great book for learning statistics with a dose of humour and light illustrative writing. Delivered on time.
on 21 April 2016
Exceeded expectations. Accessible, up-to-date and I particularly appreciated the mediation and moderation chapter. I was happy with an earlier edition but delighted with updates and additions to this version.
on 22 November 2013
I hate statistics but this book actually made them bearable. Funny and easy to read, plenty of useful excercises and helpful hints
on 15 November 2013
Well written book for entry level and advanced SPSS users. Nice stories and good explanations of the base statistical methods.
on 4 November 2013
Stats is boring but at least this helps us understand what is going on a bit. Also very helpful tips for using SPSS.