on 3 January 2012
I felt compelled to buy this book because of its title and eagerly awaited its arrival. I must say, it is a complete waste of money. I feel it is important that all prospective purchasers ought to be made aware of the contents of the book in advance. So I'll do just that!

It is a glossy A4 book packed full of Mental Maths exercises.
It has no teaching content.
It does not provide answers.
It has lots of blank pages for your child's workings.

The title is very misleading, but I must add that should your child attempt all the questions in the book....there is a likelihood they will master the techniques required to do well in BASIC Maths. The book is based on the concept of repetition. Repeat a maths task numerous times and you begin to master the technique.

Will the book ensure your child gets an A? No, as the type of questions your child is likely to come across are not covered in this book. To clarify...Word problems are excluded and questions at higher levels of KS2 are not so simplistic. There are children who excel in Mental Maths but struggle with interpreting Word problems.

This book is good if you are looking for a book of VERY BASIC questions on a range of Maths topics but is inadequate or non-existent if expecting to learn Maths techniques and attempt challenging questions.

I found it surprising that the author and publisher's names were completely excluded. Any reason for the anonymity? To improve future editions may I suggest;
1. Answers are provided
2. A worked example is shown for each set of questions.
3. More complex word problems are included under each question type.
4. A more thorough coverage of KS2 syllabus

I hope you have found this review useful.

Feb 2012 - I revisited this review as I feel my 4 star rating may be misleading! 2 / 3 would be more appropriate.
Having now spent sometime using (rather wanting to use) this book, I'd be inclined to reduce my rating. It does not cover enough topics and one could easily obtain these questions absolutely FREE of charge on the internet. Simply search in Google for worksheets based on a topic. Not money well spent!
on 26 November 2010
This book contains more sums than any Letts, Gold Star etc etc title I've ever came across.
review image review image