on 9 July 2015
Fantastic what more can i say, i love period drama books and this is one of the ones i'd read over and over again.
on 29 December 2015
Good read
on 30 October 2012
P.D. James is a brilliant crime writer and Jane Austen excellent at commenting on the behaviour of people of her time. Sadly, the two do not combine well. Very disappointed with this book. It had so much potential as a concept but is very hard to read and have any interest in.
on 20 January 2013
I love Pride and Prejudice so I was looking for something to read in the same style. A good pastime. I read it in two days.
on 12 January 2014
Poor plot. Some of Austen's characters have been altered to fit a rather rambling, improbable tale. If a 'Pride and Prejudice - the sequel' must be done at all, then it should stick to the original's format so as to be recognisable rather than confusing.
on 13 July 2013
Not a very good imitation of Jane Austen's writing. Ponderous and you wonder when something is going to happen. In the end I couldn't care who dunnit.
on 11 February 2017
Great story
HALL OF FAMETOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 February 2012
Format: Audio CD|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
I was somewhat ambivalent towards the idea of this - I'm not particularly keen on authors effectively playing at writing their own fanfic follow-ups to classic novels (which strikes me as both authorial laziness, and insulting to the imaginative capabilities of readers) and 'Pride and Prejudice' is one of my all-time favourite books. However, I do (at times) enjoy P D James and on balance decided to give this a whirl: a decision I sincerely regret.

Barring volume of sales I can't see what James was trying to achieve with this novel, which is written in neither the spirit nor the style of Austen's original. The characters as presented by James tend either to be far removed from their original incarnations or have become broad caricatures of them. I was hugely irritated by scenes of Elizabeth experiencing premonitions and feelings of foreboding in the period running up to the discovery of the demise, finding them more in the style of the gothic novels pastiched in 'Northanger Abbey' than in keeping with the witty, practical female protagonist of 'Pride and Prejudice'.

Indeed, James, in implicit criticism of Austen's rather close-knit community-based prose, has her characters speculating on the wider socio-political stage of the early nineteenth-century; switches perspective between the family/guests and the servants; abandons dry/sly wit in favour of a more stolid, procedural approach; includes some rather astonishing feminist-slanted statements regarding the emancipation of Georgiana Darcy (we are reminded that she is 'of age' and can basically do as she wills in respect of matrimony - a far cry from the dutiful and rather cowed Georgiana of the original novel or, indeed, any of the considerate, family-centric female characters who populate Austen's novels); and cannot resist poking at the old chestnut of Elizabeth's motivations in marrying Darcy.

Ignoring the rather spurious connections to 'Pride and Prejudice', which ultimately seem to consist of borrowing names and locales, this becomes simply another country house mystery. And a rather dull, creaking one at that.

Saved from one star only by the CD version - which is ably narrated by Sheila Mitchell.
on 2 January 2012
I had never heard of P.D. James before I saw the adverts for Death Comes to Pemberley on the Amazon website. I was extremely tempted to buy it at full price for my Kindle, but was glad to have waited as it was reduced for the Kindle Daily Deal.

Since speaking to people about the book, I have been told that it is not written in her usual style - I wouldn't know, like I said I have never heard of the woman. However, maybe it would have been better for her to continue to write in her normal style. I love the Pride and Prejudice characters from numerous films, TV series and spin offs, however I cannot stand Jane Austen's style of writing. In this book I was hoping for more adventures for the characters I love, in a style of writing that I don't have to force myself through.

Style of writing aside, the characters were on the most part well developed (apart from Elizabeth, who I feel was under represented), there were twists and turns in the plot, and it ended (fairly) happily with everything resolved. I would recommend Death Comes to Pemberley to any Jane Austen lovers - just not necessarily to all Pride and Prejudice lovers!
on 11 December 2013
I didn't enjoy this book. I only finished it because once I've started a book I can't not finish it.

The story was more a build up to Wickham's court case than a murder mystery. Any suspense revolved around the court case, and by suspense I mean refraining from getting on with the story and padding it out with mundane events. The murder its self was somewhat put to one side. When we eventually came back to it again at the end I felt that elements were predictable and it was anticlimactic and forgettable.

I also found that the language didn't sit well. Jane Austen is far easier to understand! I have read a lot of classics and not had problems with the language. I found myself rereading phrases and not quite knowing to what P.D. James was referring.

The worst thing about the book is how flat the characters are. They seemed very one dimensional, even their thoughts were mannerly! I wasn't convinced by the characters at all. If Jane Austen can write Pride and Prejudice in 1813 I can convince myself that living according to the manners of the early 19th century didn't impose limits on a person's thoughts.

In conclusion, nothing really happens and to nobody. I wish I hadn't bothered.