on 13 October 2016
I ordered this book for its beautiful artwork and colour scheme- of which I was not disapointed- however when my book arrived I found it was pretty damaged. The cover had signs of bending and was scuffed at the edges (not just at the corners) and the corners too were scuffed and bent. However, as I said, the cover artwork is beautiful and the book itself is surprisingly large and seeminly well made. Overall a very good purchase for the price that I would recommend as I was likely a one off
on 12 September 2017
I had never read any of these stories previously but it soon becomes apparent why they are included in the classic novels. Soon got used to the dialect by reading it in context. An excellent and uplifting account of people thrown together in dire circumstances and the human spirit which carried them along. Perhaps not for the current PC generation but a great snapshot of history.
on 7 December 2013
Sometimes illustrated Kindle versions don't translate to the format well, but this edition is very good in every way. Clear and easy to read, and enjoyable to look at (even in black and white).

From the point of view of the story, I found it a drier read than, say, Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court. Characters were more caricatures than well-drawn, but Twain still managed to point out the dichotomy of rich and poor in a way that makes me glad I live in the modern era.

I've been reading Tale of Two Cities at the same time, and am afraid that Twain can't hold a candle to Dickens in terms of characters and social commentary (at least, not in Prince and the Pauper), but that doesn't mean I would leave him off my list of authors who (whom?) should be read.
on 24 October 2015
Tom Sawyer Collection - All Four Books...
Mark Twain

An awesome classic collection for all to read.

Take a trip back in time and revel in these beautifully written classics. Twain is exceptional, ‘The Adventures of Tom Sawyer’,
‘The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn’, ‘Tom Sawyer Abroad’ and ‘Tom Sawyer Detective’

The extras to this volume make it a collection to thoroughly enjoy.

Great extras to this classic.
on 14 February 2015
I like this book and if you are already interested in buying it then go ahead, you will not regret it and it is a great price. Saying that it was written a long time ago and sometimes the way the narrative is (slang) can be hard to understand. It was written for children apparently, so it makes me feel a little dim when I'm looking up words on my phone. Anyway, i would tell myself to buy it if i could go back in time and you will love the cheeky ways of Tom and Huck. My first Mark Twain book, and I enjoy his writing style very much.
on 13 September 2011
These are brilliant stories, great adventures as well as painting a vivid picture of life in the southern slave states. Full of witty detail and packed with a whole variety of hugely entertaining episodes. I write this just to boost the star ratings which are ridiculously low for such great books. I've just got a new Kindle and I'm starting off by downloading some old favourites. Pride and Prejudice of course had to be first. Next this.
As for the debate about language, to change the words would be to miss the whole point and distort history. To me the books give a clear message that slavery is wrong and the bad words are put into the mouths of people who would have known no other words to use. I haven't persuaded my children to read these yet but maybe they've read too many Rainbow Fairies and vampire romance books (actually I really enjoyed Twilight!) to enjoy the classics! Don't think these are boring dry books like some classics can be though, they are alive and exciting.
on 9 November 2013
I thought I'd buy this as I hadn't read it since childhood. I already had The Adventures of Tom Sawyer but to buy Huck Finn separately was quite expensive. This copy of both stories together was very cheap so I have given my Tom Sawyer to my friend. I was a little disappointed as the print is very small, but this does not detract from the charming story of my childhood.
on 27 August 2017
The language in this book is a bit like an acquired taste. It is not an everyday-type language so will take a bit of getting used to.
My son starts Secondary School this Sept and this is one of the many books recommended. As young ppl do, he finds it somewhat boring but I encourage him to read it as it will be useful for literature etc.
on 13 May 2017
I mean the book is great, but the condition was awful considering it was described as 'good'. It was plastered in annotations and at some points the actually text in the book was completely covered by said annotations. Lucky it only cost a few pounds because I've now had to purchase a new copy that I can actually read
on 5 November 2016
I found that this book was interesting in that it gives an insight into the lives of those peoples who lived in the United States at that time and the language they used. However, it does seem to use more spoken words than necessary in some cases.