Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 October 2013
This is a disappointing book. The Thames, and particularly Tilbury and Gravesend, were vibrant places during the 60s and 70s and this is not reflected in the book. Whilst it is full of photos there are many repetitions and even some errors - The MV 'Pilot' is referred to as a 'Tug' twice when it was in fact a pilot launch! I am sure there are many more historical pictures available that could have been used if only to reduce the number of repetitions!
on 1 May 2014
Received as a gift. The book is filled with photographs bringing back memories of my time watching and photographing the shipping off Gravesend/Tilbury in the 1960's & 1970's - also being involved with the shipping as a Port Clerk boarding ships off Gravesend and within Tilbury Docks. Looking through the book the majority of the ships illustrated I remember well. How wonderful that this author has accomplished this photographic work - I would have loved to have done the same....a good record showing a glimpse of how busy and so interesting this part of the River Thames was back then. When I first opened the book I opened it at a page showing a photo of the IBERIA at the landing stage, just as I remember her! Iberia and her sister Arcadia were splendid ships and my all time favourites.... I will spend many happy moments looking through this book, a great photo reference as well as being very pleasing for me, looking back to those wonderful days.
on 9 August 2015
The title is a little misleading as the container terminal was a major facility in the 1970's but receives minimal coverage ( One photo on page 98 which does not even seem to be the container terminal)
on 4 June 2016
Bought for my Dad and he loves hit as he used to work there.