Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Fitbit

on 30 June 2013
This proves that Lacey Baldwin Smith still has it at 89!!!

Whilst not strictly a biography, it is mainly a critique of G.W. Bernard, Eric Ives, Retha M. Warnicke and Alison Weir's work on Anne Boleyn, especially the events surrounding her fall.
The important questions and events concerning her are covered linearly with reference to the four historians.

Basically, Smith largely dismisses their work on her fall because he argues there is not enough evidence to support any of their theories.

As you would expect from the author it is wonderfully written with wit abound!

I normally hate the fact that publisher Amberley invites authors to write a book but Amberley should invite Lacey again if the result is to be like this!

A breath of fresh air!
on 6 November 2014
good book.
on 1 April 2013
Never heard of the author although this was my period of study. What I like is the way that he plays different authors and perspectives off against each other and his analysis is fair. I like the way he says, 'we just don't know' about so many apects of Anne's life. His assesment of Henry is spot on and digs into his physiology in a way not seen with more popular authors. I have ordered his other books.
22 Comments| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 April 2014
This is a great book - I wholeheartedly recommend it.

It's well written and informative.

Although Baldwin Smith is at times a bit traditional in his assessment of Anne Boleyn - there is so much to like here. There is so much to delve into and the chapter in which he reviews several authors books is noteworthy.

Unlike a couple of recent authors - whose books I have reviewed in the past and look forward to reviewing with relish in the future - Baldwin Smith does not use his substantial platform to attack other writers simply because he does not agree with their opinions. He shows a lot of class in how he goes about the task in hand. If he has a point to make - he does so intelligently and reasonably. But he is very precise and all respect to him.

The is a fabulous book and is written with a bright fragment of glimmer. There are touches of humour here and there that make it a joy to read.

"He was a beautiful writer, with finely crafted sentences," said Mr. Smith's daughter, Dennison. And I could not agree more.

Lacey Baldwin Smith passed in 2013 but his legacy will live on in those who appreciate Tudor history and the important people who shaped it.

I cannot recommend this book enough and encourage you to read all his other books too.
on 13 October 2013
This is am eminently readable, concise essay giving new perspectives on the controversies surrounding Anne Boleyn . It really highlif
on 26 August 2014
Interesting book, well written with a few new twists. By no means ground breaking though.
on 1 June 2013
Anne Boleyn: The Queen of ControversyI am astonished to read that people do not know about the reputation of this scholar. For years his study on Katherine Howard stood alone as her only worthwhile biography. I bought mine in 1961 and have read it many times even though we now have other works notably by Dr Starkey. His psychological assessment of Henry VIII just over a decade later provided an unusual approach to this monarch, skilful and requiring the reader to think carefully about his assessment. I am waiting eagerly to read his new work on Anne Boleyn. It was trailed recently with comments on how it came to be written well into his retirement. That also encourages older authors to take heart. I understand the BBC programme last week was based on his coverage of the many facets of Anne's personality.
on 13 September 2013
Well it must be me then. I have read the other reviews and I have read the book and I have read many others for this topic and period. I wish I had not bothered. Yes it compares between what other authors have written and that a lot of things said by then are not necessarily fact based or supported with evidence but i didn't need to buy another book to tell me that and I didn't realise that this book didn't do a lot more than that.
on 19 May 2013
Interesting, I love any thing from this period, I find this part of amazon annoying surely a couple of words are enough