Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

on 6 December 2010
"This book was generously purchased for me in May 2009 - my first year of Sixth Form. This may seem early, but if it had been in print I actually would have bought it at the start of Sixth Form. There are 13 chapters in the book and the first logically starts with deciding whether Medicine is the right career for you. Chapters 2&3 then deal in a very practical way with the process of application.

You really don't have to be a genius to be a doctor, but you must have a lot of drive and commitment to get into medical school, supported by work experience in a caring environment. The application process tests motivation for the career almost as much as academic prowess. I am certainly no star academically and my Comprehensive school even managed to enter me for the wrong set of AS levels causing disqualification and a busy second year in Sixth Form combining AS and A levels. Despite this I still managed to get an offer after interview and started Medical school in September 2010. I have now graduated to Chapter 8 of the book "What do the early years of Medical School involve?"

I read `Becoming a Doctor' once on receipt, but since making the decision to apply for Medicine I have continued to refer back to Chapters countless times to help me plan ahead and keep a perspective on my study / career progress. So at the start of sixth form, or earlier if possible, I suggest you buy this book and think deeply about whether Medicine really is the right career for you.

If you decide to apply for Medicine you will need a second book (600 UKCAT Practice questions) to get through the UKCAT examination that most medical schools require. The UKCAT book is a 6-week wonder to help you pass the exam.

'Becoming a Doctor' however is a 6 year companion, that you will refer to hundreds of times during the medic journey. It is written by authors who have lived through the same process you are experiencing and I cannot recommend it too highly. I have deliberately deferred this review so I could offer an opinion based on my own practical experience, I hope it helps. "
on 20 November 2011
Full of first hand experience from recently qualified doctors, this book sets out clearly what it is like to be a doctor. It also provides an insight into the specialisms that doctors decide to pursue early in their careers. Comprehensive advice about the application process means that anyone thinking about Medicine as a career will find this essential reading. The book is well laid out, enjoyable to read and excellent value for money. This second edition makes a valuable contribution to this genre.
on 30 March 2015
A very good book, with fine accounts of the various areas of specialism, which will help my daughter decide whether she wants to become a doctor or not.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 16 November 2009
Thinking of choosing medicine as a career? Then this book is a great one to buy. It clearly sets out the procedures for entering medicine, the attributes applicants should possess and guides the reader through the medical path.
Clearly set out and well written it comes highly recommended.