Customer reviews

The Leica Pursuit
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 September 2012
I read the book in one sitting. Not because it was "gripping" but rather because its 24 chapters over 133 pages in large type with some chapters less then a full page long. Thought it was good to clarify that this isn't a novel but nearer a short story or novelette.

I have a liking for Leicas (sic) and this book intrigued me. Took it on the plane on a two hour journey to Italy and finished it in that time. The story starts well enough but I think this is Irving Freed's only book and regrettably it shows. Its a sort of mystery but theres really not much mystery as its rather predictable. Ok I learned a bit about cameras and that was interesting but the story is week, predictable and why oh why bring in antique dealers as characters called Lovejoy and Tinker? If that was to add spice, I think they get a sentence and why the "sex" scene in the hotel bathroom which adds nothing to the story and is so improbable that it seems to be added to add some sexual tension to the book, which it doesn't need.

The concept of the book is a good idea but the reader is left thinking about the holes in the tale. How does the camera get to teh auction and why does its contents from the War only now come to light.

If this was an English school essay it would be a "c" and could do better. Its a shame as the idea is good but the presentation is lacking.

Sorry Mr. freed only 2 stars from me.
on 11 December 2012
The storyline actually had quite a lot of potential and the book could have been well worth reading. Unfortunately, it was let down by the poor writing and the inclusion of such unlikely turns of events, that the whole thing was devalued.
on 3 August 2016
Overall plot was thin lacking depth and detail.
on 27 November 2013
I have just finished reading The Leica Pursuit. I found it absolutely enthralling, cleverly written with an excellent knowledge of the subject, and would highly recommend it to anyone looking for written entertainment.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I'm one of those people who either takes months to read a book or simply never reach the end. From the moment I picked up The Leica Pursuit I couldn't put it down until it was finished.

Superb story and I'd highly recommend it.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse