on 4 October 2012
The introduction of Paul Kidby's illustrations highlighted something which I had not noticed before and that is the gradual "victorianising" of both Discworld and of Sir Terry's other books. I first noticed this in Monstrous Regiment with the cover illustration and the textual description of the uniforms especially devised for woman soldiers (bustles and all). I next saw this in Going Postal where Miss Crippslock's costume is straight out of a late Victorian fashion plate. This is something which Paul Kidby has picked up and reflected in his illustrations to the later books and "The Art of Discworld". "Nation" is set in a world which is close to but not exactly mid 19th century and with "Dodger" we go straight into the real thing - or as real as it can be for someone writing in the 21st century. OK so its not a grimy as it could have been (but its pretty close), Sir Josphe Bazalgette isn't the hero - although I don't agree that he was made to seem ineffectual or weak as someone has claimed elsewhere in these reviews. Its a great story, it reads well and it rattles along at a good pace with a few chuckles and the occasional laugh as you go. The plot is a bit too neatly tied up for my liking - hence the four stars - but its as good as a good discworld and maybe a little better than most.
on 24 August 2017
I've read all of Terry's Disncworld Novels many times over and after his passing thought I'd give this one a try. Although it doesn't take you to the strange wonderful World which Rincewind, Granny Weatherwax, Nanny Ogg, just to mention a few of the fantastic, larger than life characters that inhabit it, I still enjoyed th tale.
on 8 April 2017
I wasn't sure if I'd like a "non-Discworld" Terry Pratchett book, but I went for this and wasn't disappointed! His typical sense of humour and his great style of writing makes it a very enjoyable read. I'd recommend!
on 29 July 2017
great service, item as described
VINE VOICEon 24 January 2014
NOT a Discworld novel, but a story set in "another" London, but with real historical figures (stand up Charles Dickens and others) and a fun plot.

One to read and reread, and love, and to share with people who do not read the Discworld series too.
on 11 March 2017
A bit different to other Terry Pratchett books I've read, a brilliant story incorporating effortless wit with a touch of Steampunk, you can smell the sewers on every page. Read it in one sitting and hungry for more.
on 26 June 2017
Another delightful Trip into TP's marvoulous imagination. Weaving his magic into each of our souls. Where oh where will we play next?
on 18 August 2017
Ideal
on 17 March 2017
good book x
on 21 November 2015
It is such a shame that such a wonderful writer is no longer with us.