• Dave

Format: Paperback|Change

on 14 August 2013
Bought this after we borrowed it at Library club and my 2yr old cried when we had to return it! A simple tale ideal for bedtime. Its been a first bedtime book for our daughter and just the right length to establish book reading at bedtime. I like the story too, and Dave looks a nice fat cat :)
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 January 2015
Dave the cat is big. With an appetite to match. One day the inevitable happens and he gets stuck! His friends try to help in various and amusing ways. But what will finally get him out of his cat flap?

The first time it's funny, and on the subsequent readings your child will anticipate the climax and be desperate to get there. One for boys especially but any child who likes rude noises will be more than satisfied with this funny pet story.

Nicely illustrated, a short tale that packs a great little punch. And now there's a sequel!
Why no voting buttons? We don't let customers vote on their own reviews, so the voting buttons appear only when you look at reviews submitted by others.
on 26 February 2014
This is one of the best kids books out there. My son loves this and it is by far his favorite book in his 100 strong collection. Read it to your child. Get into it and make as loud a farting noise as you can. Simply brilliant. Beautiful illustrations and a fantastic read.
on 20 June 2016
Our 3rd Dave book & doesn't disappoint. From a parent point of view it's great to read & kids can't wait to turn the page. And life lessons for them to learn in each Dave book. 4 yr olds favourite books & interesting enough to make them want to learn to read it. This & Supertato series are their favourites
on 13 December 2013
A really funny book which my 5 year old daughter absolutely loves - I have to read it over and over again to her! If you are offended by bodily functions avoid it, however if your child laughs hysterically at pumping then it's going to be a winner! ;)
on 16 February 2013
The great thing about this book is that there are lots of opportunities to engage very young children. It quickly became a favourite with my 1 year old due to the barking dog, screaming cat, tickles and farts. You can make it a very interactive experience. His first phrase was "Oh no!" which is straight out of the book, showing just how much he loves it. I'm sure that as he gets older he will get the joke and love it even more.
on 9 March 2016
This was recommended to me by my sister as my nephews love it. Well so does my 2 year old daughter, so much so that she feels the need to tell everyone about the pumping cat. I think most kids will find this hilarious, my daughter is in stitches every time we get to the end of this (probably helped along by my sound effects).
on 18 February 2014
I bought this book for my husband as a joke as our cat is also called 'Dave'! As it turned out the story is hilarious & I enjoy reading it to the 'small people' in the family! A fun story for both adults & kids alike!
on 31 January 2015
A super book! My 9 year old and 4 year old LOVE this book. My 4 year old quickly memorised it by heart and both of my sons join in during the story. It is very easy to make this an interactive story. One for all the family!..And what young child isn't tickled by a fart?...they all go through that phase at some point or another and there is no point in trying to avoid it! I got this book because we have a ginger cat as well...I had no idea what the book would be about but my children love stories with animals in them, especially if they look like a beloved household pet. This stories never fails. It made us smile and continues to bring us laughter even after the 100th time reading it!
on 18 March 2016
“Dave is big and quite fantastic”. So goes the opening lines of this delightful children’s book that charts the tale of Dave the ginger cat and an unfortunate predicament he finds himself in.

Not only is Dave fantastic, so is the whole book. The lines are perfectly paced for little readers to join in, gleefully shouting what has happened to Dave. I am always on the look out for books to encourage speech development and this is one such book.

It is the sign of a good children’s book when it entertains adults and children alike. It is the sign of a great children’s book when the reader doesn’t mind the tenth straight reading of it. And this is such a book. I was more than happy to turn to the first page on each gleeful plea of ‘Again’. This book is great for bed time reading, and was a boon for soothing during a fitful night’s sleep.

The illustrations are perfect, matching the lines of the story extremely well. They are an integral part of the story, as they should be and are a delight to see.

The copy we have is borrowed from nursery so I will have to get a copy for our house soon. Double Dave is due for release in January 2016 so I will have to snap up a copy of that on release. I will be seeing what other treats Sue Hendra and Liz Pichon have published while I wait.