Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 July 2015
Excellent book. Enid Blyton set the standard for children stories many years ago, and the standard is still there today, and is someone read it in 20 year time I will bet her writing will be held in high esteem even then. You have adventures kids, smugglers, secret passages, and little to no adult supervision. Isn't the every kid’s fantasy. My kids are the iPad generation, and they look forward to having a chapter a night. They love these kids outsmarting the adults, and getting up to mischief.

I enjoy reading the books to my kids almost as much as they like listening to them. There are parts of the book where it is pretty obvious what is going to happen as an adult this can be annoying but for kids this is part of the charm. If they can piece together the mystery before it is discovered in the book they are all the happier for it. The vocabulary of the book is also great. Every chapter there are at least two words my kids did not know, over the course of time I have heard them using the new words themselves. How people were at a different time. My five year old innocently asked me do they have more than one parent as the kids spend all their term time at boarding school, then in the holidays the parents ship them off to their aunt’s and uncle’s house. The children themselves do seem a lot more self-reliant then most kids today. The thing I notice more than anything is the class divide between the servant and masters.

Due to an accident at Kirin cottage the children are shipped off to Castaway in the town of Smuggler's Top. Here the children find strange goings on in their new friends’ house, as well as a network of tunnels dug in by ancient smugglers. Of course the adults are completely oblivious to all this so it is up the children to deal with it. Another great adventure for the FF, though they are closer to seven in this book. I am 100% sure this book is where Scooby Doo villains got the idea for saying " And I would have gotten away with it too if it was not for you meddling kids and your dog".
on 21 August 1999
God bless you Enid Blyton - I read your stories sitting on a cushion in a back alleyway in Hoon Hay, Christchurch. You helped me escape from a drab world. Hidden tunnels, lost passageways, the whole lichen-coated paraphernalia of forbidden places poured into my head and washed what seemed mundane reality aside. Your writing was repetitive and clumsy and bigoted, your villains were stereotyped, your characters all wooden, but so what? You transported a million children beyond the reach of the grown-up-thou-shalt-not-world.
on 28 July 2012
Another one of my favourites, this. A lonely town on a cut-off hill, an old manor house with secret passages leading to a misty marsh, smugglers, kidnapping - what more could an eight year old, and if I'm honest, a twenty-five year old, want? Ok so you realise the writing perhaps isn't as brilliant as you remember it when you were a child, but the stories are as gripping and crystal-clear as ever. Spiffing. However I found the newly added 'mum' and 'dad' instead of mother and father really jarred in this one as they were mentioned so much. Why on earth did they change words like that? Completely pointless.
on 12 August 2001
Reading this book started me on a long, long, journey with the Famous Five books that, even as a 40-plus year old I still re-visit from time to time. The memory of reading about the secret passages, the marsh, deaf Block, Mr Barling and all the other sinister characters in that most sinister of settings, absolutely fascinated and riveted me to the book and I never looked back. It is still my favourite of them all.
on 21 August 2012
I am enjoying this book immensly, although I am 62 years of age, I can recall reading the famous five books when I was a child and they still hold my immagination/attention. Great book.
on 22 December 2013
George's home gets a hole in the roof as in too bad to live there so they stay at a friend's house called Smugglers Top. There is many secret passages there and Mr Lenoir is not a very nice man at first. George's dad comes to stay and he and the children's friend get kidnapped! How will they save them from Smuggler Mr Barling? With Timmy's dog nose sniffing away they manage to be saved and Mr Barling ( along with a fake deaf spy assistant of My Lenoir and another unnamed accomplice ) the smugglers are captured by the police and not seen for a long while! Eventually the Lenoir family move out of Smugglers Top. Read this incredible story to find how the last smugglers are caught forever
on 17 June 2001
After the Kirrin's house gets ruined by a storm, Julian, George, Dick and Anne go to stay with the Lenoirs. But mysterious goings-on start happening; flashing lights in the night and then Uncle Quentin gets kidnapped. The children think Block, the deaf servant may know something...
on 8 February 2014
Bought this for Christmas. It is only four stars instead of five because I should have read the small print - the two stories here are dramatised versions - they are not what I would call an Audio Book which is someone actually reading the text of the book (although that does occur in places) - that's why the CDs here are each about an hour long compared to other versions of the same stories that are read by a narrator and are typically about four hours long. Still a joy to listen to though. Five Go to Smugglers Top is my all time favourite Famous Five story. Recommended.
on 23 June 2015
Firstly, I must say that I think the book is good, but this audiocd is advertised as unabridged. I buy the audiobooks for my daughter as it helps her to read and listen along at the same time. This audiobook is in fact a dramatisation and not an unabridged version.
on 7 August 2016
Bought as I was desperate to find a new audiobook for the car to keep my 6yr old boy occupied on a long trip. Even though I always found the famous 5 books comically stereotypical and melodramatic. He listened in complete silence for an hour. When it ended he said that at school the teacher has read to them from the famous 5 books, that he doesn't understand what's happening in the story at all, and they are boring. But this, was... "BRILLIANT". So there you have it. I am now going to buy a load more. Must say I also loved listening - the dramatisation made it really fun and immediate, and because it's abridged, it was just the essence of the book and the exciting bits.