Learn more Download now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now Learn more

Customer reviews

Caddy's World: Book 6 (Casson Family)
Format: Paperback|Change

TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 4 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Twelve year olds Caddy, Alison, Ruby and Beth are inseparable - their days full of merry escapades and lively banter. Now, alas, everything seems about to change. Alison to move? A new school for Ruby? Eating concerns for Beth? Then there is Caddy's whole family in turmoil - premature arrival of "fireworks baby" causing doctors much concern.

Sixth in the Casson Family series, events here predating the others. This was the first one for me, I initially taken aback by the general mayhem but soon finding much to enjoy.

Despite all the fun, there are moving undercurrents - many may find the reason for Beth's problem particularly touching. It is the plight of the new arrival which makes most impact - mother Eve staying with her in hospital; father Bill struggling to cope, although badly needed back in London. Caddy, Saffron and Indigo rally round (sort of), but attempts to help do not always work out.

A cluttered home, chaotic lives. Fans would not have it otherwise. Addicts of the books will relish greeting old friends, this addition to the saga very likely to add to their number.

Recommended (many mums and dads no doubt having every sympathy for the parents).
VINE VOICEon 17 September 2013
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A story about Caddy and her family and friends. The characters are all loveable and as the reader follows them through their everyday lives, we are given insight into the premature birth of Rose and Beth's eating disorder and the dilemma's felt by Ruby when she must change schools. The book is well written and enables other children to consider how they would deal with similar issues, issues which are very real in today's world.
This is the sixth book in the series about the Casson family. I will certainly be looking out other books in the series for my daughter, knowing that she will be reading about real issues in a sensible storyline.
VINE VOICEon 5 February 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Loved this book with its colourful and fun characters. A great story with lots of exciting twists and turns. I shall be reading it again
on 20 April 2013
I have read every book in this series, and came across this one while searching for used copies of the others for a children's library. Excitedly, I grabbed the Kindle version. It is a bit different, but this book doesn't disappoint. McKay handles a heavy situation as cheerfully as possible, so despite the worrying main themes of the story it is unlikely to upset anyone unless they have recently had a similar experience. Unlike certain other difficult children's lifestyle topics, this one is not dwelled upon gratuitously - it is just real. Indigo and Saffron are newly fascinating as infant schoolers, while we get to know Caddy better than ever before. Her motivations over the rest of the series start to make sense. Another positive is that Rose, who took center stage in the previous books, has a non-speaking role. This allows the other characters to react and explore themselves in the spotlight, though you never feel that Rose is absent. The last thing I'm going to add is that Caddy's friends are interesting in that instead of merely being stereotypes, we get to see them react to the roles they were previously so happy to be cast in. It's a story about security and how unsettling it can be to newly lack it.
on 27 November 2015
This book is just GORGEOUS. It's a prequel to her Casson Family series (which I adore), and I loved every moment of it. It's full of wonderful characters, humour, complexity, and so much heart. I cried at the end, in the best possible way, and I found it utterly inspiring. I will definitely be re-reading it.
on 27 May 2011
I love this book, my first submitted review I only gave this book 3 stars because I felt the book wasn't as good as the other books Hilary has written, but now I have read it several times, and even though the characters still annoy me I have to say it is a much better book than I thought.

The plot deals with family issues, friendship issues, school issues and basically as many preteen issues as you can fit into a book of this length! If you like Hilary's writing- which is a strange style, consisting of many different points of view, all in 3rd person and many characters that are mentioned from time to time but never really feature.

I am going to make this review brief by simply saying, if you want a book with a different type of writing, or if you love Hilary's writing buy this book, you won't regret it, even if you have to read it a few times to understand it fully!
on 17 April 2014
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I struggle to get books long enough and interesting enough for my daughters who have been made free readers at school because they have progressed much quicker than most of their class. Caddy's world has been enjoyed by both of my daughters (8 & 9), and lasted long enough for them to enjoy the story and get to know and love the characters. We will be looking at getting more of the Casson Family books.
on 16 February 2014
Not sure who I like best of the Casson family and their friends and acquaintances but it is always a huge pleasure reading about them and trying to decide.
on 26 November 2013
This book for me was amazing and full of twists and turns.I really recommend this book for 9years and over.
on 28 August 2013
A good book that is a flashback of Caddy's (the eldest child in the Casson family) before Rose was born.