Customer reviews

on 10 February 2013
thank you for sending my book so quickly as i have read the other 2 books and enjoyed them i was so waiting for the last episode so i could find out the completion of this trilogy
on 20 February 2013
This is the third and final book in The Winter Trilogy and I had been eagerly awaiting its release because I really enjoyed the first two books A Witch in Winter and A Witch in Love. I feel that there is always a lot of pressure on final books to get it just right, particularly when the first two have been so good, well I think this one certainly managed that pressure because it was fantastic - explosive and the non-stop action kept me hooked throughout!

It began with an exciting and fierce magical training session which quickly moved on to a hot kiss, this meant that I was sucked into the storyline straight away and it left me hoping for more to come.

In this book I learned much more about the Ealdwitan and witches from other countries, this was fascinating but made me feel anxious as Anna unearthed many secrets leading to even more danger. Once again I loved Abe, his cheeky confidence is something that I always love in a male character and as with the other books I desperately wanted him to get together with Anna. Seth was very conflicted in this book and my opinion of him changed many times while I was reading.

A trip overseas led to a frightening discovery for Anna, I had a feeling that this information would intensify the story and I wasn't wrong because this was when everything became scary and brutal - my heart was pounding in my chest and I just couldn't see a way out for Anna and her friends.

The ending was good and even though I think I would've preferred a slightly different end result I enjoyed it nonetheless.

This magical and action-packed conclusion had me on the edge of my seat, I can't wait to see what's next from this fabulous author.
Anna has lost Seth.......he has sailed off into the unknown and she is heartbroken. However, what she doesn't know is that a certain birthday present she gave to Seth is always pulling him back to her.

She decides once and for all to try and find the missing page out of the Codex and tries to sneak away to Russia alone.........Abe and Em realise what is happening and turn up at the airport..........

They arrive in St. Petersburg only to be attacked by an extremely scary Witch who is defeated by Marcus who has also gone to Russia for reasons of his own.

When they decipher the page of the Codex a shocking revelation is made. It would seem (SPOILER ALERT) that Anna cannot die.

Eventually they find themselves in the lair of some truly horrible Witches who only want Anna to join them. The rest of the group are superfluous to them and are doomed to be murdered. Somehow, Seth arrives as well and is also imprisoned. It is then that Marcus appears and the spy at the HQ of the Ealdwitan is revealed.

These horrible, ghoulish creatures underground want Anna to use her magic to bring back to life what I believe is Rasputin. She refuses and then something really horrible happens to her. I am not going to give away anymore of the plot but suffice it to say, towards the end of the book, I was in tears.

This was a really good read and probably the best of the trilogy. I highly recommend it to lovers of literature such as this.
on 12 May 2013
'A Witch Alone' is the third and concluding part of Ruth Warburton's trilogy about Anna Winterson, a teenage witch. I have read a lot of young-adult series and I have to say, hand on heart, that this is one of my favourite. I have adored each instalment and will definitely be picking them off my shelves to read again and again.

After the ending of 'A Witch in Love', Anna wants to find out what really happened to her mother. She is also desperately trying to work out her own place and where she belongs. She thought she belonged with Seth but now she's struggling to make sense of her life without him. I adore Anna and Seth as a couple but they have always had hanging over them the love spell that Anna originally cast over him. This book finally puts that to rest in the most spectacular way. If you're a fan of these two characters then you will not be disappointed. I must admit that I wasn't too happy about the direction that things seemed to be taking in the previous book, with the introduction of Abe as a potential love rival. I needn't have worried about this though because Ruth Warburton deals with it perfectly and this is most definitely not your typical ya love triangle.

If I had to be picky about anything, it would probably be that I wished there was more Seth in the book. Although he does feature quite prominently in the second-half, he doesn't make much of an appearance at the start and I missed him! This was however necessary to the plot so I guess I can't complain too much. Readers are also treated to a fantastic chapter between him and Anna (if you've read the book then you'll know which one I mean and if you haven't then I won't spoil it for you) which was one of my all-time favourite moments.

The ending was incredible and had me glued to the pages. I actually had to stay up half the night to finish it because I was so engrossed. There are elements which will appeal to everyone and I loved the fact that it doesn't necessarily tie everything up with a neat bow. It's much more realistic but also remains true to the characters and the story.

Full of action, excitement, magic and romance, this was the perfect end to the series. I'm so sad that it's all over but also excited because I cannot wait to see what Ruth Warburton will write next. I shall be the first in the queue to get my hands on a copy. A wonderful British author and a five star series. These books are definitely not to be missed!
on 16 February 2013
I was looking forward to this, having loved the first two books in the series, and I was not disappointed. This twisty, clever book surprised and delighted me.

If you haven't read the first two, I'd suggest you stop right here, go to A Witch in Winter (book 1) or A Witch in Love (book 2). I can't guarantee this review will be spoiler-free for the earlier novels.

Again there is a gap between the novels and we join Anna a few weeks after the events of A Witch in Love, allowing her to have settled into a different routine since last we saw her. She remains the strongly principled character I've come to love, and the wicked Ruth Warburton continues to pull her in many directions, testing those principles at every turn. Torn between loyalties to her father, her long-dead mother, her powerful grandmother who represents the forces that tried to kill her in the first book, her witch friends and her love for Seth, Anna is constantly having to weigh up the likely effects of her actions on others.

The supporting cast also remains true to the form we've come to expect. Seth is away, trying to separate himself from Anna and her inability to have faith in his love for her. Abe is difficult but appealing in a bad-boy, rough-around-the-edges kind of way, while Emmaline is her practical, down-to-earth self. Anna's pulled loyalties and quandaries about trust are perfectly replicated in the reading experience and I was unsure whether Anna had put her faith in the right people at several different points (sometimes I was right, and sometimes wrong). This effect is enhanced by the fact that we get everything from Anna's point of view via the first person narration, so others' motives are never clearer to us than to her.

One of the great pleasures of this trilogy has been its ability to surprise me and this last instalment is no different. There were several key twists that I did not see coming, and I really enjoyed that the story got much 'bigger' from the middle of the first book onwards. What started out (or at seemed to) as a paranormal romance with witches, ended up as an epic quest narrative with action happening around the world and a genuine threat to the whole human race.

Overall, I would strongly recommend this novel (and the whole trilogy) to readers of YA, especially those looking for something 'more' in their urban fantasy or paranormal romance. This is a perfect example of a satisfying romance novel, with an admirable heroine and a strong plot beside the romance threads.
on 29 July 2013
well this was right up my street from a very young age i was all way`s called a witch so i like that this i don`t know way i was know as witch may be because i could gess thing and nearly all way`s get them right but i loved reading these but and could understand how she felt and i hope that Ruth will do some more
on 20 April 2014
I was desperate to know how this series would end, something had hooked me in and I couldn't leave until I knew how it was all resolved, so I dived straight into this - the final part of the trilogy.

Seth has left Anna and she is heartbroken, trying to get over him she throws herself into learning how to control her magic and also discover more about her past. It's time to find out the truth about her mother, but where to start. As she starts to dig a trail back people start to get hurt and even killed, what does she have to sacrifice to learn the truth and who is behind it all. And most importantly why do they want her?

This book is the longest of the series so far and it felt it, I would be reading and thinking I had done at least 100 pages but had in reality only read about 30. Something about this book just seemed to drag, there is a lot of build up and back story that slows it down again, but it is padded with action and more exciting events.

I liked Anna a bit more, she has matured and is not afraid to fight back now, she's ready to take her stand and show everyone who's boss, but then at the same time she's a bit more selfish, she rushes in and doesn't think about the consequences of others. Her pining for Seth also irritated me a bit - either do something about it or move on. Harsh judgement maybe but it took up so much of the book - her just missing him and moaning.

As for Seth himself, I liked that he stepped up in this book and I liked him more, his past was explained in a bit more detail and that helped me to connect to his character.

We delve into the whole mystery behind Anna's mother's disappearance and I have to admit I was disappointed with the 'reveal'. After all the buildup you then discover what happened to her in one quick paragraph and then they move on to the next fight scene. I wanted more from Anna and actually a better explanation of what had happened and why.

The whole thing with Marcus didn't surprise me but I loved how that all ended - I'm not giving anything away here :P

Overall I felt a little let down by the ending, there were some things that I felt could have been explained better, but to be honest it wasn't bad, there was enough to satisfy most of my curiosities I just expected more.
on 9 July 2013
I liked this book because it tied up all the loose ends and stayed true to the rest of the books and the characters. It wasn't too hard to work out bits of the plot but there were lots of little twists and turns that made it a good read. I also liked the fact that it remained real. characters were injured, despairing etc and the writer did not shy away from it like some teen fiction writers, and it was necessary but not gratuitous. All in all a well balanced book, a good ending to a trilogy, and a good read.
on 17 September 2016
The third and final book in the trilogy, and I don’t really have much to add to my prior reviews.

It follows all the other trilogies in this genre. We know how things are going to be played out. The bad guy is obvious. The love story is going to end in a particular way. It was more fun than the first two books, but I still couldn’t bring myself to give the book more than a three star rating.

It was a nice short trilogy to read. It passed the time. It was simple, allowing me to work through them whilst I was busy. I wouldn’t go out of my way to read them again, but I can understand the appeal. I think my major problem is that I have read far too many books like this before. I have moved on to other things, and these kinds of books just don’t do anything for me anymore.

If you enjoyed the first two books, though, reading this one is a must. I’m sure plenty of people will be pleased with the way it ended – but for me I wasn’t all that bothered and I quickly moved on to my next book.
on 9 August 2013
I chose this rating because I thought this book was gripping and pulled you in so you felt like the characters. I liked the way the story built up to a happy ending that was unexpected. The story had real depth and emotion which hooked you to the plot line. Each character having a different personality that showed when Anna was in grave danger. Throughout this book there was tension , raw emotion , blood and Gore but that's what made it intriguing each page bewitching and spellbinding. This book had me on the edge of my seat throughout . A great book highly recommended.