Customer reviews

on 1 August 2012
I read the first book because i wanted easy reading, not expecting a great deal and i wanted to get away from the gray books. however when i read the first book i really needed to read a witch in love and soooo enjoyed it. I am now frustrated because i want to read the third book. I wish she had not released the books until all three were available, its going to be a long wait, but i will deffo be buying the third book
on 10 February 2013
it was very good just order her last book hope its as good as the other 2 i cant wait to start reading
on 29 July 2012
This follows on nicely from A Witch in Winter, and fills in some of the gaps. Looking forward to the final part.
on 24 July 2012
This book is the follow-up to A Witch in Winter, I had lots of unanswered questions after reading that book so I couldn't wait to start reading this one.

The action started early in the story and there was lots of it throughout, also the dark and eerie feeling that I got in the first book continued in this one which made it feel familiar to read. Again Anna faced danger and many emotional revelations, including trying to figure out her relationship with Seth.

I still felt unsure about Seth, I couldn't put my finger on what it was that bothered me about him but something happened near the end that helped me make up my mind about his character - I won't say whether it's good or bad though, you'll have to find that out for yourself!

A trip back to London uncovers something that worries Anna and is also the beginning of a significant change in her life where she finds out more about her mother and family.

Abe was a particular favourite again and as we find out a little bit more about him I think I can finally understand him better. I would definitely like to see him get together with Anna so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that something might happen in the next book.

There were a few unexpected moments, some of which took a nasty and scary turn that I just couldn't see Anna getting out of. All this means that I really can't wait for the next instalment A Witch Alone, there was a sneak peek of this in the back of the book and let me tell you, it was super exciting and raised my hopes that at least one of my predictions might come true. It really does hint at the final book being truly amazing!

This is a magical, eerie book that definitely has me under its spell.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 28 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is the sequel to "A Witch in Winter" and the middle book of the trilogy. The last book is "A Witch Alone".

I had hoped that this would answer some of the many, many questions that I had been left with at the end of "A Witch in Winter".

The book goes someway to answering those questions and there is additional information about the characters, padding out both Anna and Seth.

This book focuses more on the relationship between Anna and Seth. Seth obviously adores Anna (the words "puppy dog" come to mind), but Anna is still not sure whether she can truly trust Seth due to the spell that she cast on him. Is he really in love with her or is it some sort of remnant from the spell.

I, personally, am less fond of all this lovey-dovey stuff, but it certainly allowed Ruth Warburton to expand the characters, and it was not that heavy that I wouldn't pick up the next one.

I am looking forward to the next, and final, book in the trilogy.
on 17 September 2012
A Witch in Love picks up six months after the events in book 1. It's almost Christmas and Anna and Seth are still very much together, she regularly worries that the love spell hasn't worn off and Seth continues to assure her it's real.

Anna's constant internal guilt trip did start to grate after a while but Emmaline makes up for it. I might have to start an Emmaline fan-club. She is now my absolute favourite character. She's funny (the magic incontinence theory had me laughing for ages) and regularly provides Anna with a reality check.

Personally I liked the story in A Witch in Love better, without giving anything away it made the `magic is real' more believable. I also loved Ruth Warburton's imaginings of magical places in London.

A Witch in Love succeeded in continuing to surprise me both with the writing and the story of Anna's world.
We now have to wait until February 2013 to find out how this adventure ends...*
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
After reading the first book I was so pleased to get my paws on this middle of the series book, I couldn't wait to start reading it.

This book is about Anna finding her power at last but still being wary of using it in case she hurts someone. Hardly surprising after what happened in the first book!

She has found out that her powers had been crippled until she came of age and also that a spell of silence had been put on her Father, again until she achieved the age of 18.

In this book, she finally meets her Grandmother and ends up at the HQ of the Ealdwitan in London.

She is still not convinced that Seth loves her for herself and is not 'still bewitched by her' and pushes him away once too often and he..........well, that would be a huge spoiler wouldn't it? Abe plays a largish part in this book too.

Like the first book, this is fluently written so you can get straight into the story without a lot of preamable and waffle. This is also just as hairy and scary as the last book as now a group calling themselves the Malleus Maleficarum are after her.

I was so taken with this book when I had finished it, I immediately bought the next in the series. A Witch Alone...........this is looking and reading well too.
on 19 August 2012
This is a short review as I don't want to discuss the plot in anything other than the broadest terms to avoid spoilers. Quite simply - this is an excellent series with epic battles, romance and witchcraft in a contemporary UK setting, and if any of that appeals: read it!

I really enjoyed the first novel in this series for its voice, its realistic setting and the intrigue created by the way magic was overlaid onto our world. This second instalment doesn't disappoint, and ups the ante considerably. The plot is tight and twisty and moves quickly, putting the well-drawn characters into increasingly difficult situations.

This novel expands out in many ways from the first, opening out the action as Anna's world also expands. I hoped to learn more about the magical world that Ruth Warburton has created and I certainly got my wish, although not in the ways I expected. There are revelations in this book that I didn't see coming at all, and which move the plot forward by adding new conflicts and tension for Anna to deal with, while also not forgetting those set up in the first novel.

I enjoyed seeing Anna's development as a character, and the progression in her relationships with Seth and with witchcraft. These developments feel realistic and plausible to me as a reader, so the novel has the emotional realism which is vital to keep fantasy grounded enough to get lost in. Again, the narration in Anna's voice helps us to appreciate her point of view and to see her thought processes.

Overall, I strongly recommend this series as a strong urban fantasy for teens and up.
Because Anna & Seths love is described in a kind of gushing sickly sweet manner in the first few pages..this almost put me off the book. I thought it would be just another teeny romance novel with a bit of witchery thrown in. I was wrong! The book pickes up pace very quickly, its interestingly written. The characters are strong & I really related to Anna's character (as a witch myself). The story becomes edgy & dark not to say to much to spoil the plot. I haven't read the first book either & I feel that this book could be read as a standalone novel..but once you have read it you will wish you had read the first too..I am certainly going to!
on 27 August 2012
The second book to the amazing a witch in winter and Ruth has done a wonderful job. Again.

This book lives up to the description and it does what it says on the tin. Anna finds it hard to believe that Seth loves her and refuses to use her powers. Of course that plan doesn't last long as her and Seth are attacked. Anna finds it hard to control her power and doesn't understand how she has so much of it at such a young age, wanting answers she starts looking at her mothers history and is left with more questions than answers. And on top of all that someone starts warning/haunting (I guess, I can't find the right word) Anna and that lands her in even more trouble that before.

This is a very good book with lots of twist in it and it leaves the reader wanting more. Ruth has done an amazing job continuing the series and I wasn't left disappointed. If you liked A Witch In Winter defo pick this up.