Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Children's books are all the same aren't they? There are only so many stories that you can tell about getting lost or making sure you go to the toilet in the right place. However, time after time authors and illustrators come up with new ways to entertain the adults reading the books as well as the kids listening. `Wanted: The Perfect Pet' covers two perennial child-friendly topics in friendship and pets. Henry, a young boy, really wants a pet dog, whilst a lonely duck really want a friend. What better way to make a friend than dress up and pretend to be a dog?

`Wanted' is a brilliantly subversive book that is generic child fiction on the surface, but adds a splash of Dr Seuss-esque surrealism into the story to make it far more entertaining. Illustration wise, the book looks nice and the wording is clean. There is plenty of simple language for the youngest to read, but also some illustrations containing more text for older children. There are loads of fun little `Easter Eggs' to find throughout the story as Fiona Roberton has great fun with the images to a simple story.

There is a touch of melancholy to `Wanted' that is very effecting, but matters are resolved in a way that is both satisfying and won't upset anyone. There is a clear indication that there are future adventures for Henry and Spot to have together - I for one will look out for them. `Wanted: The Perfect Pet' was a joy to read.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 25 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My grandchildren love me to read Wanted - The Perfect Pet. They have a little dog of their own now and can make sense of how much the little boy, Henry, wants a pet.

Although the book has little to offer in terms of colour or detailed illustrations there's a simplicity to the presentation that works. The simple line sketches don't detract from the emotional content as we discover how much Henry and the little duck need one another, to the point when the duck says 'woof' because Henry's initially looking for a dog. In fact it's the 'cartoonish' style of illustrations that helps bring out the humour.

The book's constructed in a way which makes it easily accessible for younger children and is broken up into three simple sections; we meet Henry, we meet a duck and then, finally, Henry and the duck meet one another.

You can read the story in one go or spend time with the extra bits and bobs, such as Henry's newspaper adverts, which helps add depth and texture. Takes no more than ten minutes to read from start to finish and makes a perfect, wholesome, bedtime story.

Incredibly cute. I particularly like this book.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is a comical story about Henry trying to find his perfect pet. The book is humorous, has colourful illustrations and gives plenty of scope to adlib and and discuss pets especially if youre about to buy one. Younger children will love it and older ones will enjoy reading it themselves, so a book for most age groups(.up to 6/7 yrs)
VINE VOICEon 27 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This is one of the sweetest, most heartwarming children's books I've seen in a long time. It is beautifully written and the story is lovely. It tells the tale of Henry, who wants a pet and so puts an wanted ad for a dog in the newspaper. A lonely duck sees the ad and pretends to be a dog so that he can be Henry's pet and friend, but of course he can't keep up the charade for long. Happily though, Henry realises that the duck really is the perfect pet for him, even though he's not a dog.

I loved the messages of this book: that friendship is important, that it's OK to be exactly who you are, and that we are all special in our own way and don't need to pretend to be something else. I think these are great lessons for children, and they are subtly woven into the story so that it's not at all preachy.

The only reason I've knocked a star off is for the illustrations. Although the drawings are nice, they are mostly black and white with only occasional bits of muted colouring. The occasional bits of colour mean that it looks as though the pictures haven't finished being coloured in. I don't think that young children would warm to the illustrations and it's a shame, as this could be a fantastic book with equally fantastic pictures.
Possible Spoiler:

I enjoyed this but it is a little too old for my son at the moment so this will be packed away until he is older and I can re-read it to him. Although the illustrations are nice the lack of colour didn't grab my son's attention which is really what does at the moment more than than the storyline so I definitely think this is aimed at older children maybe four years plus. That being said I as an adult liked the illustrations and I assume an older child would appreciate them too.

The story is well thought out and I quite liked it as it tell's the tale of a little boy called Henry who although he already has pet frog's, really really wants a pet dog so he decides to advertise for one. Without hopefully ruining the story for anyone as I think someone has already mentioned and there is an illustration of one on the front..... a lonely duck decides to apply and what follows is actually quite sweet.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I assume this is the first book in what's to be a series of tales about an unlikely couple of friends called Spot and Henry. Henry is a charming young man who wants a new pet dog but ends up with a pet duck called spot.

'Wanted: The Perfect Pet' is an endearing tale which is humorous to read and wonderfully illustrated. The pages are big and make the perfect platform from which to show off the quirky illustrations.

Overall, one of the more original children's books I've read and certainly a series I look forward to reading more off. The only problem with it I can see, is that you might have a fight on your hands, as no doubt your child will soon want a duck of his very own too.
on 14 October 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This book introduces the reader to Henry, a little boy with a big collection of frogs. What he really wants is a dog, so he advertises for one in a newspaper. A duck that lives faraway sees the advert and responds to the advert dressed as a dog. The duck/dog gets named Spot but unfortunately the disguise falls away and Henry discovers that Spot is indeed a dog. He realises though that actually this duck is the perfect pet.

The illustrations throughout are simple but fun (a bit like Farside) and although mainly black and white there is a bit of colour. This is a fun book to read to small children and will probably take 10 minutes or so. It's also a fun book for reasonably early reading although the story may be a little abstract for smaller children.

I expect there will be many more books in this series and I think children will enjoy them all.

To make the comparison though I don't think they're as good as the books written by Julia Donaldson though (and they're definitely not as well illustrated).
on 8 November 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This picture book tells the story of Henry and Spot and how they meet. The book is divided into 3 chapters - only short, but a bit of a novelty for a picture book - these are "The Boy"; "The Duck"; and "The Discovery". We are told the story of how the boy (Henry) really wants a perfect pet - also known as a dog, and a lonely duck really wants a friend. In answer to Henry's advert in the paper for a perfect pet, the duck disguises itself as a dog and finds Henry. The disguise is blown, but Henry loves the duck anyway and decides he is the perfect pet and calls him "Spot". A friendship is born! The illustrations are lovely in this book, and my 4 year old loves it - I would definitely recommend it to anyone with young children.
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
This delightful children's storybook makes a bold impression with its bright red cover and it is no less joyous when you open it to find its striking illustrations, which are mainly monochrome, but every page has one or two details which have been selected as the colour highlights - a yellow beak here, some green sleeves there etc.

The story itself is both warm in emotion and humour, giving that relatively rare combination of laugh out loud moments, with a story with a great message. My two girls loved this book almost as much as I did and we are all really looking forward to reading the next book with the new heroes Henry and Spot the duck in "The Perfect Present" - I just hope it can live up to this one!
on 26 September 2012
Format: Paperback|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm quite picky about children's books, my daughter and I have worked our way through most of the hospital children's library and 9/10 of them are drivel. However when I first read 'Wanted: The Perfect Pet' I couldn't stop smiling, and neither could my daughter.

The book tells the story of Henry, who places an advert for a dog in the paper, as it is well known a dog is the perfect pet for a boy. Who turns up is a duck with no name in a dog disguise, as he is very lonely and wants a friend so very badly. Henry and the duck have a lot of fun, before the disguise falls apart. At first Henry is sad, then he realises despite the duck not being a dog, actually he's the perfect pet.

If it sound's preachy about preconceptions or acceptance, rest assured it isn't, this book is just a pleasure to read pure and simple. I did immediately notice the similarities with the penguin/chicken in The Wrong Trousers, however disguised feathered friends apart this book stands well on it's own merit.

I usually go for books with intricate drawings, where this is much simpler. Most of the drawings are simply done in black, white and yellow. however I don't miss the drawings, those featured are clear and sweet, with a quirky touch which will appeal to those reading the book.

I'll certainly be buying this for friend's children, and can not recommend it highly enough.