Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 15 January 2013
I bought this book to my mum as a gift and she absolutely loves it. It's the sort of book that you can pick up and read for two minutes or twenty minutes or from start to finish if you wish. It's light-hearted but very inspiring. I would definitely recommend this book.
on 6 February 2014
A Very calming and reflective book. For me, this isn't a book to speed read but one to pick up, read and contemplate and pray every now and then. So it's not one the bookcase, it's sitting nearby waiting for me when I need it most.
on 1 May 2013
The introduction says: “We seek serenity of heart, but find that there is no space given for our souls.”

The prayers and reflections in this beautiful book owe their origin to the Poor Clare’s website where they were presenting ideas about prayer to busy people. “As St.Clare was the first female follower of St.Francis”, this book is imbued with a Franciscan spirituality and simplicity. The primary concern for both St.Clare and St.Francis was “the Spirit of the Lord and His holy activity.”

After a chapter entitled “St.Clare: A Woman for our times”, the next heading is “Preparing for Prayer.” “Why pray?” explains that essentially “prayer is a conversation with God, speaking to Him who created and loves us and listening to what He has to say to us.” Some different prayer methods are offered. Next “How to pray” tells us that “when we pray, it is important that we become conscious that God is love and He loves us passionately. All our prayer is a response to the God who loved us first.” Here also we find guidance on silence. “Ways to pray” gives us: Intercession and Petition; Praying in the spirit of St.Clare; Adoration with St.Clare; Praying with Scripture; Lectio Divina; Serenity and Surrender; Forgiveness; Contemplation and Commitment.

This is followed by a section on Everyday Prayers. Here are a series of mainly well-known prayers with explanations. Examples are given from St.Clare and other saints to illustrate these. This is followed by “Prayers and Reflections for Our Times.” Here we find prayers to help us when we are, for example, anxious, overwhelmed by fear, looking for guidance, in sickness, unemployed. There are prayers for special intention like parents praying for their children. In the conclusions the sisters “hope that this book has given you a way of coming closer to the Lord.”

It is more of a compendium than a book, suited to dipping into over and over again. It is delightfully presented, with illustrations drawn by the sisters, and beautifully written – the language is clear, concise and friendly. Permeated with the Poor Clare spirit, it is both simple and very profound, the fruit of the praying community at Nun’s Island, Galway. Although some prayers and quotations are very familiar, the descriptions help us to approach them with fresh insights. This is a wonderful treasury to draw from – recommended for all, but particularly helpful to those with hectic lives, and the opposite – those with lonely and isolated lives.
on 20 January 2013
a bok to contemplate and reflect upon life
the simple messages portaryed by the text empower the soud to change your ways
on 9 May 2013
I found this book quite a nice little resource.

There are sections on different aspects of prayer, but also various prayers for situations in daily life.

I found all of these to be a helpful starting off points for my own prayer and reflection time and would recommend this text.
on 26 March 2013
I heard about this book on the radio and I went to great lengths to buy it.
I also bought one for a couple who are good friends of ours.
While I felt it to have a slightly calming effect overall, I was a little underwhelmed by it.
I suppose in my age-group, (61 yrs) we have become very disillusioned with formal religion (though not spirituality to the same degree).
I thought that this book would encourage me to remain faithful to my 'religion' but, I'm afraid, this was not really to be.
I got some benefit from it but the overall effect was disappointment.
on 21 July 2013
I find this book to be inspiring and easy to read. I chose it as a guide to help with personal prayer.

I found the verse of 'Calm the Soul' at the beginning , to be beautiful and thought provoking.
on 14 February 2013
very insightful just what I thought it would be... my wife liked it to.... you can pick it up and start reading anywhere and it helps
on 30 November 2013
arrived promptly . well packaged. a lovely read and certainly calms the soul. bought a second one for a friend and she also loved it. a very reliable seller. would use again
on 22 February 2013
Excellent book! Very inspiring & certainly calming in our present frenetic world. Would certainly recommend it. Suitable for all faiths and none.