on 4 November 2013
I have always enjoyed Jeffrey Deaver ,always a twist in the tail !!!! But with this book I think he really has lost the plot ,and what poor value 286 pages .it certainly needed another 50 pages to finish off .he needs to stick to Amelia Sachs etc
on 27 May 2017
Big fan of Deaver, particularly the multiple twists in the final few pages
It may well be clever literary device to write the book backwards, an amusing technical exercise, but it destroys the entertainment value completely. I understand flashbacks as a plot device, but a story needs to flow forward through time, with character, mood and plot slowly developing through to a finale that hopefully draws all the threads together, no matter how devious and concealed through the story. I read several chapters, got very bored, read the last, Chapter One, and binned the book. Had I read Chapter 1 first I could have avoided wasting some hours out of my life
on 28 September 2013
Mr Deaver has set himself the challenge of starting a book with the final chapter and working backwards, unpicking the true motives of the protagonists and the true explanation as to why two people are in a room waiting for the visit of a kidnapper, and still keeping the twists and turns that are usual in his novels. It works, though it is difficult to keep a track of events in one's own head until one becomes familiar with the characters, but after a while one adjusts and the book flows along as Mr Deaver's books usually do. My only problem is that a book which relies so much on structure lends itself best to paper and pages so that flicking around is easy, rather than a kindle format where navigating around the book is not so easy. And the pictures at the beginning of chapters are not so clear either in the digital format, so it is difficult to take part in the conundrums they represent. Still, an enjoyable read, and in these days of 400+ page thrillers, refreshingly concise - just go for the book format rather than the kindle.
on 31 October 2014
The recurring theme is: Love Jeffrey Deaver's books but he's lost the plot in The October List.
I so wanted to like it and am in favour of anyone getting out of their comfort zone.
But after the misfiring XO I hoped that JD would spring back with something really engaging.
And that was the problem it was far too unconnected and although I'm glad I stuck with was left with an empty feeling.
Maybe it was an attempt to overcome writers block but it didn't work for me.
on 14 November 2013
To me this book was the epitome of what happens when authors belief their own hype. I think Mr Deaver would have turned off most of his fans with this rubbish.

First you have the fact that the book is written backwards, this did not work at all. You had to work too hard to enjoy the story line or his writing.

Secondly is the fact that he put those horrendous photos in...and as you have guessed these were taken by our Mr Deaver. They brought nothing to the story and was in black and white so half the time you weren't even sure what you were looking at.

The book was very thin the stupid photos took up a good 10%

I feel like I should be offered a discount or my money back. Very over priced for what you received.

Shame on you Jeffery Deaver for scamming me out of my hard earnt money!
on 4 May 2017
ok
on 15 November 2013
Jeffery Deaver has been on my must read author's list from the very beginning. But with The October List, he's challenged both himself as an author and the reader.

For you see, The October List is written backwards. Yes, a novel in reverse. The last chapter is the first one in the book So we know the outcome - or do we? - from the very beginning.

Gabriela is waiting in an apartment with a man, hoping that the other two men who have set out to rescue her kidnapped daughter are successful. The door opens and .....

Okay, that's the end. Now who is Gabriela, who are the men helping her? Why was her daughter targeted? What does she have that they want?

You must read carefully, paying attention to details. With every chapter (remember, counting backwards on the clock) more connections are made, more characters and motives introduced. And with each new chapter there seems to be another twist, another piece of the puzzle, another 'no way!' as Deaver carefully manipulates the reader. You'll be completely unable to predict what will happen by the last (which is of course the first) chapter. I loved the fact that I had no idea where the story was going - it was refreshing to be completely clueless! I know, it's hard to wrap your head around. I can't even begin to imagine the detailed notes Deaver must have kept to write the book. And when you finally reach that last (first) page, you absolutely have to go back to the beginning (the end) and reread that last chapter. It turns around 360 degrees! I wonder if anyone has gone back and read it from last page to first?

I absolutely loved The October List - I thought it was a brilliant and bold premise.
on 19 May 2017
Persevered to the end of this piece of dross. Just not worth the effort or time.
on 29 May 2017
Don't bother.
on 5 July 2014
Why is this five-star? Well, this is the first time I have read a book and immediately sat down to write something to encourage others to read it. It's a Memento-like experiment in writing and it worked for me.

I wasn't sure after the first few of chapters, but I trusted JD enough to carry on. Then I got hooked and followed the twists and reveals until the end (or should that be the beginning?). Of course I then had to read the first chapter again to unlock the final mystery (the clue to which came at the very end).

I look forward to reading it again in a few months when I am sure I will appreciate all the stuff that didn't seem relevant the first time.