on 31 May 2017
Fantastic read wish I could meet ray
on 20 July 2017
Great book
on 17 September 2013
I have followed Ray Mears career since he first appeared on 'Tracks' in the mid nineties, and avidly watched each of his TV series and read his books as they came out. He always struck me as a man who has lived life to the full, and I always hoped he would write an autobiography.
And here it is, and I was not disappointed, this is a superb read. Coming up to his fiftieth birthday, he has crammed as much into these years as most would in ten lifetimes.
It follows his school years, judo, and his friendship with the man and mentor who helped to spark his obsession with the outdoors.
His determination and drive, even at an early age, were admirable, and he seemed to possess a maturity, determination and intelligence that few people have.
His career has been fascinating, and left me with a feeling of huge admiration for the man.
His life has not all been sunsets and exotic places, like everyone he has had set backs and tragedies in his life, and he deals with these honestly and unflinchingly.
Overall, this was the book I always hoped he would write, and it is an inspiration to anyone interested in the outdoors, bushcraft , conservation, or the future of the natural world.
I cannot recommend it enough.
on 13 July 2014
Got this book as I enjoyed the tv programme in America. Started out to be quite interesting but soon turned out to be self promoting, how fond am I of myself and how superior I am to everybody else. My initial opinion of him has changed, not someone I would like to know.
on 12 December 2013
Purchased as an xmas present for my hubby, i know he will love it, I am really happy with book.
on 5 September 2014
Good read, Ray is impressive with his outdoor skills. Book was a bit sluggish in the mid section, but picked up at the end.
on 13 January 2016
Brill . A great read . U really get to see the life he had
on 28 June 2014
Fantastic book, I've waited a long time to read Ray's autobiography, I was not disappointed.
You find out so much about his life that you don't get from any of his t.v programs. Ray is so enthusiastic about nature and all the people he meets on his travels.
I was hooked from the start,very interesting and Informative.
Ray is an inspiration to us all.
I would highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in nature, travel, people, Ray's documentaries and previous books.
on 2 June 2017
If you don't like Ray you'll not buy the book. It's preaching to the converted (like me). I admire Ray and often wondered his background, assuming Forces.

The book touches on his childhood and family. Refreshing to hear that the author is largely self-taught and in that regard more British - a worthy heir to Freddy Spencer Chapman (jungle soldier WW2).

I bought this on audible and the narration was good.

One downside (for me) was Ray going into detail about the search for Raoul Moat, best left unsaid and sounded a bit boasty.

Overall I enjoyed the book, the second of his, the other being a general guide
on 3 March 2017
I was expecting it to be more like the other books and more tips and skills but it is Ray Mears autobiography and is about his life - I have not read it fully. I own all the series books and dvds so thought I would give this one a try but still it will make a good read.