on 23 January 2017
This was a very difficult read. I thought I was hardened by my years of reading crime fiction, however, I found the detail of the torture in thus book really distressing. Actually I am tired now with the gratuitous level of detail. Of women being brutalized - even when as in this book, the author is questioning and challenging the levels of violence against women. It did not need to be so graphic - our imaginations would have filled in the gaps. I don't want to read about tortured and brutalized men either. More about the thoughts of the police officer please.
on 2 May 2017
Five stars for this book definitely the best so far and I have read all four before great story line from start to finish
on 27 May 2014
Malin is sober now and in a relationship and so I feel that Mons writing is back on track . Yes its a very gruesome story about women who are attacked , trafficked and mutilated , I wouldn't want to read it whilst eating or before bed time . It did however have me utterly hooked . I know recently there has been criticism for the amount of violence especially against women in Nordic noir , but the dark belly of life shown in these type of crime books is exactly why I enjoy them [ I cant read James Patterson and all the American stuff as I find that violence too computer game and badly written]. But I guess if you enjoy midsummer murders then this isn't for you . Yes Mons does enjoy using the devise of the dead / spirits talking but I felt that only sucked me in further to the darkness inside the Swedish forest . I shall not be going for a walk in the woods for a while . Brilliant .
Right, OK before we get started please remember that this is the fifth book in the Malin Fors’ series) so in my opinion if you haven’t read what has gone before, don’t start here, go back to the first and have a real treat.

As with other Scandinavian Crime Writers, this title is a book that works wonderfully well for the reader, the description of the landscape works wonderfully well which when blended with the bleakness of the scenario alongside characters that leap from the page, make this a book that is hard to put down. The prose is sharp, the dialogue wonderfully rich and when added to a rich background all round makes this a top notch read for those who like to get into something that will stay with them long after the final page is turned. Cracking.
on 17 May 2014
Read this very quickly as once I had started I found it hard to put down. Good plot, well paced with a well drawn cast of characters and Malin Fors back on form.
Some reviews were critical of the "voices off" but I felt they were less prominent and were used to move the story along.
Some of the details of the crimes were a bit gruesome and made me uneasy. This book is about the exploitation of women and although Malin is motivated by a desire to avenge them ,I asked myself if the lurid details were not exploitative . This is why I give it 4/5 stars.
on 16 January 2015
Another excellent piece of writing by this wonderful author. Malin Fors continues to fight her demons & lives with the victims as she unravels another intriguing case. I feel her pain as I read the book. Excellent.
on 12 May 2014
I've enjoyed all of the Malin Fors series so far. This fifth book is also a real page turner, and links back to a previous case which has obsessed the main character since the first book.
The reason I gave it 4 stars was because some of the descriptions of extreme violence are particularly graphic and not easy to read- and I'm a fan of 'dark' thrillers!
I hope that Mons Kallentoft will continue to add more books to this series.
on 13 July 2015
It's an interesting read and certainly gripping. I was initially surprised that the writer is male, but on reflection, find it pretty much in keeping with modern Swedish thought. There does seem to be a trend in Swedish society that insists men should be apologetic about being men, and defer to women as the superior sex. It's been noted many times that Swedish women are confident; Swedish men are diffident to the point of being neurotic. This comes out of this book and makes it uncomfortable reading. Kallentoft appears to be apologising for being male, and for terrible things some men have done to women, and taking it upon himself to apologise for all men. Even though the vat majority of us are not brutal sadistic serial torturers. The parellel is that of a modern British prime minister who feels the need to apologise for historical atrocities committed two hundred years ago, as if he personally ordered them. This sort of self-abasement is not comfortable reading. The underlying subtext concerns all the male characters being warped and stunted in some way, from the best to the worst, lampshading the things they do to hurt women, even women they love. Peter's inability to provide for Malin's deeper emotional needs, despite his continually trying; the other policemen, all woman-abusers in small legally sanctioned ways. (Zeke's infidelity, hurting his wife, and dumping his mistress, hurting her. Waldemar's emotional neglect of his wife.) The rapist and abuser Arno Antinen. The Russian brothel-keeper drawn into abuse out of weakness and not strength. The ambitious men for whom power corrupts. Who then warp and skew the women around them into becoming pale imitations. The ever-present message that all men are weak, stupid, inadequate, violently aggressive, and should worship the pure women around them; that there is a sliding scale of male evil with the man who takes a mistress at one end, the man who wants a child when his wife doesn't, and the man who would torture and murder a helpless girl at the other. The implication, and it's quite an insulting and alienating one, is that all men are on that scale of evil-towards-women, and it's all a matter of degree.

It's like reading a feminist opinion column in The Guardian, written by an embittered hackette of the "All Men Are Bastards" persuasion.

It's still a powerful and gripping murder investigation. set in one of the loveliest countries on Earth - I've been there. I like to think I understand Swedes, at least a little. But, ye Gods, we could do without the breast-beating agonised male feminism. A female Wallander is interesting, though! And I do want to read the other books.
on 8 February 2015
At last we get to some conclusion from the past ,I enjoyed the book immensely,even though it was quite gruesome.i am looking forward to the next one already
on 11 September 2014
I loved the previous Malin Fors series. Detective Malin is a very real character in all of them, battling her alcoholism bravely and trying hard to handle both her career and her daughter - someone all working women can identify with, even if they're not alcoholic! But this book was really hard to read. Full of gory detail, which is not at all like its forerunners, and therefore, for me, not enjoyable but rather repellent. I didn't finish it. I'll go back and reread the others in the series, but this one's headed for the charity shop