Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 27 October 2012
Expert in criminal psychiatry, Dr Charlotte Stone, has an unfortunate ability, which she keeps secret. She can see and hear dead people. Only those who have died a violent death e.g. accident or murder, and only for a short period of time before they go onto wherever dead souls pass onto. However, this ability helps in solving murder crimes as she can actually ask the victim about the perpetrator.

Charlie is asked by handsome FBI agent Tony Bartoli, to help in solving a case where a teenager has been abducted and her family murdered. The MO of the murder is the same as a series of murders 15 years ago which were called the Boardwalk Murders. Either that killer is back again or it's a sick copycat. Bartoli is aware that Charlie was the only survivor and witness to the last murder 15 years ago, when her friend Holly was murdered. Charlie's first reaction is to say no, it's the one case she shouldn't go near, and get as far away as she can from the murder. However, in the end she reluctantly agrees.

Both hindering and helping Charlie on her quest to stop the murders, is handsome, extreme bad-boy ghost, Michael Garland. Who refuses to pass to the other side. Enjoyable book with amusing interaction between Charlie and her big, bad ghost.
on 8 May 2013
The book is gripping, well written and has unexpected twists in it.

What I like : it is a hunt for a serial killer. About 1/2 way through the book, I predicted "who dunnit" and i was spot on. It continued to be enjoyable, and the book retained its suspense.

The female lead and her difficulties in seeing ghosts, her interaction with the people from the FBI, the female agent and the issues she has in getting along with them - all very good.

And then there is the bit about her interaction with the ghost of a serial killer. I thought her fear was real and believable and the slow transformation in the ghost helping her was also believable.

What i DID NOT LIKE was the fact that she has sex and falls in love with the ghost of the serial killer. There is some oblique references in the book that the guy didn't really do it (but at the same time she goes through the case file and confirms to herself he really DID kill the women). The weakest part of the story and to some extent spoiled the story for me.
on 10 March 2013
I read this a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact I had to stay up half the night until I had completed it. I found the characters to be entertaining and on most counts appealing. THEN I READ THE AMAZON REVIEWS. Quite a few people that post reviews put so much of the book into their remarks that at the end of the day there is simply no point in reading the book. Some were so hostile to this book that I got irritated, after all at the end of the day it is FICTION, something that has developed in an authors imagination. I got so annoyed by some of the comments that I decided to re read it. Yes, some of the comments have a point in what they say, but this is designed to be an entertainment and in that it succeeds very well. There are some weak points that stretch credulity to breaking point, but am I waiting for the next one in this series (and I hope that Karen Robards does produce more with Charlie and Michael in)? You bet I am. I'm intrigued enough to want to know how she plans to redeem Michael and eventually produce a satisfying conclusion to their relationship. This isn't a Bronte or a Agatha Christie but Ms Robards has produced an item of work that has provoked some very polarised views and heated on line debate and in that she deserves congratulations.
on 30 November 2013
I feel like the author should have focused more on the romance than the main characters job. I loved the first chapter but after that I was thinking crap what have I just wasted my money on :( I suppose it would decent enough if your into crime stories but she's obviously not a romance writer and I should have realised that.
on 21 November 2013
I'd been avoiding this one thinking I wouldn't like it. I loved it and am hoping for more. Great characters, and the story was angsty and suspenseful, and hilarious in places. I strongly recommend this book.
on 12 June 2015
This book barely merits one star. It is badly written in terms of grammatical accuracy, an accuracy with which it has only a passing acquaintance.
The constant top level dear of ghosts is puzzling considering she regularly has visitations from the departed I became weary of her hysteria. I see ghosts and have come to grips with this. The character came across in the book as being weak and self indulgent. As for having sex with a ghost. ... that just put the tin hat on an already weak ghost story.
My only consolation was that I got a gift of this book so hadn't wasted my money on it.
on 4 March 2013
Fantastic. I have read lots of Karen Robards' books and have enjoyed most of them. This is brilliant. Fab concept and dialogue between Charlie and Garland is riveting, there is humour, emotional and sexual themes, I really enjoyed it.
on 18 May 2016
I never review the plots just if I find the book interesting and a good read. I am giving the Dr Charlotte Stone series 5 stars as once started I needed to read until the end.
on 29 April 2013
Another excellent read from Karen Robards....my favourite author.
Only thing is, I hope there will be a follow on, it'll mean the ending is a bit disappointing if not.
on 23 April 2013
very good book, couldn't put it down. Made me both laugh and cry. Garland is a very likable character, but the story just didn't seem to finish, left up in the air.