Format: Paperback|Change

Three novellas, from the time just before WWII when the Saint was still living in London at Cornwall House.

"The Miracle Tea Party" details what happens when Simon opens a packet of tea he has chanced upon, and finds it stuffed full of fifty pound notes.

"The Invisible Millionaire" has him investigating a murder mystery.

And finally, we have "The Affair of Hogsbotham". I've never met anyone named Hogsbotham (although my grandmother apparently went out with someone — fortunately not my grandfather — named Shufflebotham). Nonetheless, the pronouncements of a character of this name ("and with a face to match", according to Simon) are what lead the Saint unexpectedly into the third adventure, involving a bank robbery.

Patricia Holm and the Simon's faithful manservant Orace figure prominently, having of course both been with him since the very first Saint adventure, Meet the Tiger. And for those who have (perhaps) wondered what happened to some of the other characters in that opus: a close reading reveals that the "moribund aunt" that Pat has to meet in the last story can only be Aunt Agatha.

I find myself re-reading the middle story less often than the others (although I'm not quite sure why), but the other two are well up to the usual Charteris standard of this period.

P.S. For a list of all Charteris's Saint books (in two sections, because of length limitations) see my Listmanias.
on 22 March 2014
This was the first Saint book I ever read about sixty years ago, I became a Saint fan Immediately and eagerly sought out any book i could over the years. I was worried that the book would now seem dated to me, but it seemed as fresh and exciting as the first time I read it
on 6 December 2014