on 10 January 2014
This book was over 4000 pages long and took me about 2 weeks to read, I was really into it and was very anxious to find out her 'mothers secrets'. However towards the end the book starts to drag on a lil and get really confusing, she's one of 10 children, all her siblings have at least 2 kids, her aunts and uncles and friends... there are way too many names.
This didn't bother me till I finished reading the book as we don't actually find out any of her mother secrets. It should have been called 'my complicated life' not 'secrets my mother kept'. What secrets? I'm really disappointed.
11 Comment| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 28 November 2013
This is a gripping, heart wrenching story about Kathleen's quest to find out the true identity of her father. In the process she uncovers numerous snippets of information about her mother which go some way to explaining why she did the things she did both before and during Kathleen's childhood. Kathleen and her many siblings (mostly girls) had a very hard, very poor early life and difficult upbringing peppered with secrets and lies. Furthermore, at one point Kathleen looks as though she might repeat some of her mother's mistakes, but then she makes a life changing decision which alters the path her life is taking and achieves a happy, fulfilling future, despite some tragedies along the way.
An excellent read, I couldn't put it down. Thank you Kath Hardy for sharing your life story. It is truly inspiring.
on 13 May 2016
Didnt like it, thought it must get better but one of the very few books that have had to give up before I was halfway through, went on and on about nothing and I can relate the the times! sorry wasn't for me
on 2 November 2013
Took this on holiday and found it to be a good read, at first I wasn't sure where the writer was going as it jumped about in time but I very quickly got into the story, and liked the writers' style and couldn't wait to get back to my kindle to read some more.

I nornally avoid books about child poverty/neglect as I read for enjoyment when on holiday, but this book did not over emotionalise their poverty and had lots of funny anecdotes a very enjoyable read, which I would recommend.
on 29 November 2013
I stumbled across this - I know the author so was curious and so pleased for her success in being published. It's a beautifully crafted and moving tale, nothing mawkish or over done as can be the case in memoirs I've read, strikes a chord of authenticity throughout and keeps yo in suspense right to the last chapter as to what the family secrets are that so shaped the sisters' lives. Well done Kath :-)
on 20 December 2013
Excellent read, of the trials and tribulations of this complicated family.
Couldn't put it down. The story left you, like the author with lots of unanswered questions. On the other hand a poignant understanding of how life can bring many twists and turns.
on 25 January 2017
Many thanks. This arrived a couple of days ago and looks enjoyable.
on 26 April 2016
couldnt not read this fast enough made me consider just how many lives were lived like this and how fortunate i am
on 22 March 2014
Well written honest book....it shows how children have such string bonds with Mothers who may not always fit the stereotype of the perfect parent...love is such a string bond And this Lady describes that beautifully...a good read.
on 22 February 2018